• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

vba to maniplute columns error

Gerry:::::)

Hi,

I am having trouble with my macros as they only run for a small amount time, before falling over... reasons being the IT DB admins keep changing the system reports columns by adding (mostly adding extra )or deleting columns, I export these reports to CSV Excel file then run my macros to delete and manipulate not needed columns and data.

I need a way of amending my existing code to attempt to full proof this so as even if IT insert, move or remove columns (as they do with there patches/updates) my macro/s will still run without falling over.

So currently my macros does something similar to the following simple example

Code:
 ' I really need a way to find the specific columns rather than the below if statement which just checks if the column contains the specific value I wish to manipulate.

If Range("O2").Value = "VIDEO" And Range("P2").Value = "EVENT" Then

Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Columns("O:P").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

end if

Hello Gerry,

Quite some time ago, I helped a Poster elsewhere with a similar request to yours. The Poster had a regular data dump into an Excel file with lots of useless data in columns that needed to be deleted. The code is as follows:-

Code:
Sub DeleteColumns()

Dim lCol As Long, ar As Variant
Dim i As Integer, x As Long
Dim sh As Worksheet: Set sh = Sheets("List")

lCol = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
ar = sh.Range("H_Names")

For i = 1 To UBound(ar)
      For x = lCol To 1 Step -1
                  If Cells(1, x) = ar(i, 1) Then
                  Cells(1, x).EntireColumn.Delete
                  End If
            Next x
      Next i

End Sub

In this instance, the heading names of the columns that were to be deleted were placed in Column A of a separate sheet name List. The heading names in Column A of the List sheet were made into a named range ("H_Names") and were placed into a table (Table1) which can be added to when or if need be.
As you can see above, the named range has been placed into an array.

I believe that this method may just suit you also. I've attached a sample of the other Poster's file with dummy data. Click on the "RUN" button to see how it works. Play with it as you like by adding/deleting columns, adding/deleting heading names in the List sheet.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

Attachments

• Delete Columns(varying heading names).xlsm
    20 KB · Views: 5
re-
' I really need a way to find the specific columns rather than the below if statement which just checks if the column contains the specific value I wish to manipulate.

Thanks for the Code, but its almost the opposite VBA to what i am after, reasons being that I never know what colums names are that IT Dept's DB's might add to the extract, So what I am looking for is to get the (known) existing columns and delete all the rest including any they add, so as I said in the OP, I need to find the columns i am interested in and move these to another sheet (on there own) to manipulate. That way they can add as many as they like and my vba will still run perfectly

Last edited:
Hi !​
You even no need any VBA code (first to try) just using Excel basics : an easy advanced filter …​

As I wrote « (first to try) », nothing easier than an advanced filter even inside a VBA code as you can see​
within the threads samples from this VBA forum section or even in the course / lesson of this Chandoo site !​

Thanks but so sorry, advanced filter is not what I am looking for, a sfar as i know it can only copy specified areas to a new sheet, So what I realy need is ...' I really need a way to find the specific columns rather than the below if statement which just checks if the column contains the specific value I wish to manipulate.

Code:
If Range("O2").Value = "VIDEO" And Range("P2").Value = "EVENT" Then

Application.CutCopyMode = False
    Columns("O:P").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

end if

thanks everyone, so sorry you were not able to help me.. I'll now try another forum more up on solving this issue and specifically geared to what I am after. I let you guys know the solution when I know too..thanks to all

Hi Everyone,
Its probably not the most efficient code, and likely could be tightened up to run quicker if I new how, but I finally found a simple piece of VBA to manipulate my data this when tweaked a little will solve my issue, so I've posted this below in the hopes it may help anyone else with a similar issues to mine.
Code:
Sub Find_header()

Dim col As String, cfind As Range

Worksheets(1).Activate

col = "DATE_FROM"

Set ColumnHeaderFound = Cells.Find(what:=col, lookat:=xlWhole)

ColumnHeaderFound.End(xlUp).Select
        Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Copy

ActiveSheet.Range("C1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, _
                 Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

ColumnHeaderFound.End(xlUp).Select
        Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Delete ' Deletes the entire orginal column

End Sub

Gerry

Can you please attach a sample file so we can see what you are trying to achieve

Back