• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

VBA Instr Function Capture Exact Match

Hi there
Masters of Excel, I need your help once again. I have a code that it's working almost perfect. However, I just note something is going wrong and I didn't figure out how to fix that. I'm using INSTR Function to search a name inside a group of names and execute some calculation if the string match. The problem here is the names between the groups are a little bit similar and this Instr Function is bringing a wrong data.
Question: Is there any other similar function that brings me the exact match?

Example:

Data Base from sheet6 Column "A".
A1 = Nissan
A2 = Nissancsv, Nissancou
A3 = Nissanrv

LastRow = 2
Do While sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "F") <> ""
strValue(1) = sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "F").Value
If InStr(Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "A"), strValue(1)) Then
Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, 'B") = Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "H")
End If
Loop

It seems the Instr Function do not consider those strings as different and put all of these strings in the same box.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Assuming you are splitting things at the commas, perhaps this will work?
Code:
Do While Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "F") <> ""
    strValue(1) = Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "F").Value
    sWords = Split(Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "A"), ",") 'See VBA help on Split for more info
    If (UBound(Filter(sWords, strValue(1))) > -1) Then
        Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "B") = Sheet6.Cells(lastrow, "H")
    End If
Loop

Site I found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11109832/how-to-find-if-an-array-contains-a-string

I got the same mistake. Considering the same example of Group of Customers Name as:
Gr1 = Nissan
Gr2 = Nissancsv, Nissancou
Gr3 = Nissanrv

The total of GR1 is correct but the Gr2 and Gr3 is wrong, the code is giving me for Gr2 the total of Gr1 + Gr2 and for Gr3, the total of Gr1 + Gr3.
It seems that if I have a partial match the code consider as 100% match and summarize.
I want to have only when 100% match because I have some customers name very similar but not the same.
Sometimes just one letter different.

Thanks in advance
motabrasil

Hi, motabrasil!
I think you'll have to return to the old For...Next loop and test each element for complete exactness; Filter isn't suitable for this job since its partial match.
Regards!

Is there any other Function to replace this "INSTR" that can capture the exact match?
This Function works great when you have different strings. But when they are similar..
doesn't.

Hi, motabrasil!
If you stick to the INSTR version then give a try to this:
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub TiredOfLionelMessi()
    Dim LastRow As Long, strValue As String
    LastRow = 2
    Do While Sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "F") <> ""
        strValue = Sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "F").Value & ","
        If InStr(Sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "A") & ",", strValue) Then
            Sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "B") = Sheet6.Cells(LastRow, "H")
        End If
        LastRow = LastRow + 1
    Loop
End Sub
It should give you the exact match required.
Regards!
PS: Changed strValue array by strValue variable, since index is always 1.

Simple like that!? You rock!!! Again! It works perfect!
Just for curiosity, which other best way I could use considering that the list of names can vary very often and I don't want to change my code every time I got a change?
By the way. Nice name for your code.

Thanks once again

Hi, motabrasil!
Glad you solved it. Thanks for your feedback and for your kind words too. And welcome back whenever needed or wanted.
And about your curiosity, there isn't much more that I can suggest regarding only at that snippet, maybe if you want to post a sample file something else may arise.
Regards!
PS: Despite I agree with Carla Dauden, I've never liked and even less admired our (our? Spanish!) cold chest (will it mean the same as in my local argot?)

Back