• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Updating links when tabs are renamed

kensbro

Is there a quick and simple way to update the links between workbooks when the linked tab in the source workbook is moved and/or renamed.

Hi Kensbro,

One solution I could work-around is keeping both files open when you change the tab name in source workbook.

if this is not practically possible then, use "edit links" options under Edit menu (2003 version) or under Data ribbon in 2007+ versions.

Even I am interested to know if any better option is available.

Regards,

Prasad

One high-tech solution that comes to mind is a VBA macro that runs when opening the workbook and checks all the links. It could maintain information on the code names for the worksheets, which stay the same through renames, retrieve the current name of the sheet, and update the links...

I didn't know that it works when the workbooks are open together. Good to know.

The way I've done it in the past (though think prasaddn's approach above is better), is to use 'find and replace'. You can get to this with ctrl+F, and then click the "Replace" tab. Insert the name of the old worksheet in the 'Find what' box and the name of the new worksheet in the 'Replace with' box. Then, choose "Options" and select to look within the workbook instead of just the sheet (that way every link gets updated, not just your current sheet's links).

Sometimes, when your worksheet names are also cell values, you can accidentally replace something that was correct and didn't need changing (in addition to the sheet names). A way to avoid doing this is to do the above steps, and before confirming, choose to "Find All". Then, you can sort the various columns of information returned to make sure that you're only replacing sheet references. After that, then you can confirm.

Back