• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Tracking a read only excel file

mina

Hi,

We have a file that is shared and with many worksheets. It is a read only file. We would like to know who updates this file. I know about tracking but since it a read only file, I would like help to find who is updating or manipulating this read only file.

Or may be since the workbook is protected and the sheet is protected - who is protecting it? i.e User name.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mina

Check the last saved by properties? If the person is making changes, than they obviously aren't in read-only mode, and you should also be able to detect it using the tracking option.

Curious, why put a workbook into shared mode if it's read-only?

when I went to properties, it says last saved by owner of the folder but he did not use the workbook. There are various teams that have a shared drive and this file is in it. the team that is manipulating or updating it has made it read only for others but I would like to know which team or user is responsible for it.

I hope I make sense.

Thanks

You may get a better answer by going directly to the department and ask for the person(s) who did that.

Big company, many departments and is all over the country. how will even know which department?

When someone creates a workbook and put it up for others to read, the creator may know or have some idea whom the readers/followup users are. See if you can get an idea there.

Under "details" there should be a "computer" name. give your IT dept the name of the computer name, say ABCD-1234. ask them who has that computer??

I don't see "computer".I went "view" - "choose details" and I can see name, owner but not computer. Let me know where to find it. thanks

Hi, mina!

I'd try two things:

First, talk to IT or network support team guys, and ask them for help, if there's a big and spread network there must be detailed log files.

Second, if you're the file owner, well, delete it and create a new one with sheets and book protection, and set a password for updating and set read only recommended. Or ask the owner to do that.

Regards!

Hi, Mina!

Depending on the type of protection that the author has used, the problem shouldn't be that difficult to solve so long that you have access to the document. Am not sure what microsoft version you are using, mine is 2007. Anyways, just open the workbook click on the window sign at the top left corner of the document, and at the drop down list click on prepare. when the list open you should be able to reverse the read only mode by doing the same thing the author did...either by clicking on mark as final or the estrict permission button to click on unrestricted; unless it is password protected or uncripted.

I hope this helps. good luck and God bless!

Marieross

Back