• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

sum columns with a dynamic range definition

I am trying to add the columns in the file attached by quarter by using offset function with dynamic range reference. But unfortunately, I am not able to pass the column references as variable by filtering for year and then the months (e.g. 1-3 would be Q1, 4-6 would be Q2 and so on).

I have tried to show the formula that I have typed into the destination cell.

The worksheet is attached for a quick reference.

Is it also possible to use a sum as array function with search function filtering for "f16", "f17" etc., and then by 1,2,3 and so on for the months to arrive at a quarter sum?

Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    78.9 KB · Views: 2
Try..........

1] Select for "Brand" from A9 dropdown list

2] In B11, copied across right to E9 and all copied down :

=SUM(OFFSET($A$1,MATCH($A$9,$A$2:$A$7,0),MATCH($A11&"_1",$B$1:$AN$1,0)+(COLUMNS($A:A)-1)*3,,3))

3] In F11 copied down :

=SUM(B11:E11)

Regards
Bosco

Attachments

• SumQuarter(1).xlsx
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
Another offering. In the vicinity of cell B13, array-entered:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_1")+($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_2")+($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_3"),INDEX($B$2:$AN$7,MATCH($A$12,$A$2:$A$7,0),))
and by way of a cross-check, at A22 and below a re-arrangement of the data with a pivot table.

Attachments

• Chandoo39142.xlsx
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
Try..........

1] Select for "Brand" from A9 dropdown list

2] In B11, copied across right to E9 and all copied down :

=SUM(OFFSET($A$1,MATCH($A$9,$A$2:$A$7,0),MATCH($A11&"_1",$B$1:$AN$1,0)+(COLUMNS($A:A)-1)*3,,3))

3] In F11 copied down :

=SUM(B11:E11)

Regards
Bosco

very elegant Bosco - could you help me understand the part where you are following the 2nd match function with +columns....*; I could not follow this part. What is it meant to do? Thanks
Never mind - I figured out what you are doing here with the formula Very simple but impressive. Thanks

Last edited:
Another offering. In the vicinity of cell B13, array-entered:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_1")+($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_2")+($B$1:$AN$1=$A13 & "_3"),INDEX($B$2:$AN$7,MATCH($A$12,$A$2:$A$7,0),))
and by way of a cross-check, at A22 and below a re-arrangement of the data with a pivot table.
I am digging this tooooo!!

but how did you convert the file to the format required for Pivoting?
<snip>
also how did you convert the column headers, which are in text, to date format?
Wrote a little macro:
Code:
Sub blah()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Set Destn = Range("A23")
For Each cll In Range("B2:AN7").Cells
If Len(Cells(1, cll.Column).Value) > 3 Then 'only include headers long enough to have month number (excludes full year values).
  Destn.Value = Cells(cll.Row, 1).Value
  Destn.Offset(, 1).Value = DateSerial(2000 + CInt(Mid(Cells(1, cll.Column).Value, 2, 2)), CInt(Split(Cells(1, cll.Column).Value, "_")(1)), 1)
  Destn.Offset(, 2).Value = cll.Value
  Set Destn = Destn.Offset(1)
  End If
Next cll
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Back