• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Stock Screening

AlexH

I'm starting to play about with some more interesting aspects of Exceland came across the idea of building a stock screener for the UK stock market in excel. I have a set of criteria Cap,P/E,PEG,EPS etc that I use to pick shares from and currently do it from a variety of on line screeners such as Investors chronicle, MSN money and yahoo.

How would I go about automating the process to bring in the data and allow me to do some thinking about what to buy (and not lose too much on ;-) )

Have a look through: http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/12/28/mutual-fund-tracker-excel/

and the associated comments

Although not setup for the UK the techniques presented should point you in the right direction

Hi Alex,

Try this link to Chandoo's post

http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/04/18/mutual-fund-portfolio-tracker-using-ms-excel/

Thanks for the help. The problem I'm facing is a little different.

I want to pick stocks based on criteria, for instance Must be traded on the London Stock Exchange, have a Cap between £20m and £100m, P/E between 5 and 20 etc etc. The way i do this by hand is to use a web based screener that gives me some of the money information and then I manually add this into a spreadsheet and populate the rest of the data. The result is a shortlisted bunch of shares based on the criteria rather than picking individual symbols and returning the information.

I think I can use yahoo for the stock data but I am not sure how to take in all the data and then do the filtering. I think I need a bit of a push in the right direction so i can do some learning of my own.

Alex

Your steps for solving/developing a system will be to

1. Download summary data for all stocks

2. Evaluate according to criteria

3. maybe download more data for stocks that meet your criteria

4. Store data

5. Process the data

6. Report

Tackle each step 1 step at a time and look at examples here and elsewhere at each stage of the process

Don't be too proud to ask questions

Keep us informed of your progress

Thanks again for the advice. The sheet that I am building is starting to take shape. I'm using the SMF add-in to get data from a couple of different sources (MSN and Yahoo) to build up the screener.

Itcertainly isn't pretty and probably not very efficient. Once its been built I would really welcome some comments on the structure and how it works.

Alex

Great start

Don't worry about pretty or efficient they come with time and understanding

Why do you think Excel is up to ver 10 or 12, they keep adding Pretty and Efficiency

So here's version 1 (http://cid-d92f4fd067efe995.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public)

I've put a very short instruction sheet on one worksheet

Any comments?

Back