• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Splitting data from merged cells into separate rows

NP1872

Hi there, please see attached. Is there a quick way in excel or power query to split the data on the attached into separate rows. Would appreciate this.

Attachments

• Test data.xlsx
    11.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi there, please see attached. Is there a quick way in excel or power query to split the data on the attached into separate rows. Would appreciate this.
Thanks, this assists, but it puts the data into columns instead of rows. Is there a way to arrange in rows. Regards.

2 goes in the attached, both very dodgy because they depend on there being the same number of lines in each cell in the same row.
1. See Power Query table at cell E5
2. See formula at cell I6 and copy across to cell K6
I would await a better answer!

Attachments

• Chandoo56453Test data.xlsx
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
Its great how you managed to do this, excellent and it helps me a lot. I would like to know how you arranged this in power query as this is much quick option.

This is the code
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    Custom1 = Table.FromList(List.Transform(Source[Date],Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(lf)")), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Date"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    ExpandedDate = Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.ExpandListColumn(Custom1, "Date"), "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    Custom2 = Table.FromList(List.Transform(Source[Description],Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(lf)")), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Description"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    ExpandedDescription = Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.ExpandListColumn(Custom2, "Description"), "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    Custom3 = Table.FromList(List.Transform(Source[Amount],Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(lf)")), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Amount"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    ExpandedAmount = Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.ExpandListColumn(Custom3, "Amount"), "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(ExpandedDate, {"Index"}, ExpandedDescription, {"Index"}, "Description", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Description" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Description", {"Description"}, {"Description"}),
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Expanded Description", {"Index"}, ExpandedAmount, {"Index"}, "Amount", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Amount" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "Amount", {"Amount"}, {"Amount"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Amount",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Back