• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Separation from two dashes in Excel

Hi Everyone,
Please provide a formulate to separate these in three columns or whatever is the best way to filter it out pls.
Column A2 is filled with ABC-000002
Column A3 is filled with ABC-000002-001
So, basically, I want to filter out these two things, so, i was thinking to use text to column, but that doesn't show initial zeros, then applied this, below formula to divide this into other columns than, I can combine...like that.
=LEFT(A2,SEARCH("-",A2,1)-1)
this is giving me result as ABD in column B2, And also applied MID function in column C2 but not getting it accurately. So basically I hope you under stood what I am in need of.

Thank you !

if you have a later version of excel like 365
=TEXTSPLIT(A2,"-")

Attachments

• Text-Split-ETAF.xlsx
    9.8 KB · Views: 6
This is another example of Microsoft's 'array of array' foul-up!
It is unusual for this type of problem to arise in the context of a single (scalar) text value. It is far more usually applied to a list (maybe a few thousand terms). Yet
Code:
= TEXTSPLIT(list, "-")
fails to return the correct result and, instead, truncates the expected array of results to give one column only. Still that's better, I suppose, than more frequently occurring 'array-of-arrays- or 'nested array' errors that Excel returns to justify its refusal to tell you the result of your calculation!

Something that appears to work and return an array of arrays is
Code:
= LET(
    initTrim, TEXTBEFORE(list,"-", {1,2,3},, TRUE),
    finalGrp, TEXTAFTER(initTrim, "-",-1,, TRUE),
    IFERROR(finalGrp, "")
  )
1707076646368.png

Attachments

• Text-Split-ETAF=PB.xlsx
    20.3 KB · Views: 4
Back