• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Search for words in a given file and Generate a Report of them through Macros

I have been working with Excel for quite some time but only with the Formulae & Formatting and very little with Macros. I have achieved all my goals with the above, but this task was a bit confusing for me.

What I am looking for?

Is a Macro for Finding words within a Dynamic List (which will be updated with new words and redundant words shall be removed on weekly basis) in a given workbook (within some specific columns on all Sheets) and compiling a report of their count of instances of appearance in all this Data. After the count is generated a Pareto Graph has to be generated on the basis of these counts (I am well versed with making Pareto Graphs). To tough it up, I cannot attach the file which I am working on as its too big in size. Some clues about the Columns & Rows: This report has 31 Columns and enormous Rows which is updated on a weekly basis and the size is almost the same every time. I would like to search the data in Column 29 and compile the above mentioned report.

What I have tried…!!!

I have used the following formula to find out the text which is within one cell, but this permits me to search for 1 word at a time,

=IF($C$7="","",IF(AF19="","",IF(ISERROR((LEN(AF19)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(AF19,$C$7,"")))/LEN($C$7)),"Not Valid”, LEN(AF19)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(AF19,$C$7,"")))/LEN($C$7)))

this formula is applied to about all Rows and I can keep changing the data within the cells D19:AG118. But the task is very tedious because if a word is added then I have to update all these changes on all the sheets in the workbook which is very time-consuming and may not be very reliable due to human error. I have assigned one cell with validation list which contains the list of the words to be searched, when I change the word I can see how many instances of that word exist,

But my needs is to search all the words at the same time and prepare a report on a separate sheet which gives me a bifurcation of instances found for that word on a different sheet. Also considering this list is going to change in times ahead I need to be able to update the changes in the report easily.

I know this can easily be done through macros and unfortunately I don’t know where to start. If the above can be devised I can proceed with the rest.

Thanks

Cheers,

Brijesh

Brijesh

Long Question, Short Answer?

Have you tried putting the data (Column 29) into a Pivot Table and using count, to count the number of occurrences of each entry?

Hi Hui,

I have tried that, but somehow that does not solve the purpose, as the word list is dynamic and will be updated on weekly basis.

Is there any email address where i can post this file to you without the data and accordingly you can suggest what can be done, becuase then you would have clear picture of the issue and requirement.

regards,

Brijesh

Back