• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Referencing a named range through another cell

GKlucsarits

Hi All,

Thanks for the recent help on some other issues. I hope this isn't something obvious that I'm missing, but I can't seem to find a simple way to do what I want.

I have a large number of named ranges in a table. In another cell I want to dynamically recall the sum of the range based on the name of the range in an adjoining cell.

For example: Range1 =$B$1:$B$10, Range2 =$C2$C10, etc.

On another sheet, these various ranges appear in different sequences depending on other criteria, so for example it might be Range9, Range3, Range6, etc.

Is there a way that I can have a value in a cell, like Range2 and have the adjacent cell return the formula =SUM('Range3')? Am I missing an obvious way to reference ranges in formulas?

As always, assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

George

Assuming cell A2 has the name "Range2" in it, your formula to find the sum of Range2 is:

=SUM(INDIRECT(A2))

Indirect is used whenever you want to take a text string, and/or value from a cell and use it as a cell/range reference.

Hi Luke,

Thanks, and sorry for not clarifying what I wrote earlier. I should have noted that the format of the Range titles is usually something like, "Power Up Failure"; when Excel creates the name it's in the form of: Power_Up_Failure. Is there any way to reference the range Power_Up_Failure when the cell value says: "Power Up Failure"?

The only option I could think of was using a helper column to convert the text value to a named range format using SUBSTITUTE to replace the spaces with underscores, but this isn't always practical given the large number of changing range names.

Cheers,

George

IF you want to use a rule essentially saying that any names with spaces should have the spaces replaced with underscores, you can modify my earlier formula to:

=SUM(INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","_")))

Your other otpion is to have a list of all your named ranges (Insert - Name - Paste is handy) and use this list as a data validation for the cell the user inputs goes into.

GKlucsarits

Thanks for your post. I needed to reference a named range in a cell from a combobox and I couldn't make it work. The "Indirect" is exactly what I needed. You ended 2 hours of frustration for me!

Learned a lot from this post - I have a question to build on this.

I used named ranges on a table, using the "create from selected" method, selecting both "column" and "rows". The top row is months (Jan, Feb), and the Columns are names a complicated "G_All_Blah_Blah". I want to create a sumifs formula on another page that can cross reference a single cell (and a range), based on parameters from drop down menus that reference the named columns and rows. I realize I can use the indirect formula, but how can I do this to find a cross reference between columns and rows, using named ranges?

Back