• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pivot TAble Sorting Issue

I have a pivot table with 4 row labels of categories of data (columns A-D). Then I have 5 fields of summary data by region. Columns E-I. Those are in the values and all are set to SUM.

The first time I sort my pivot table it works correctly. I sort it by Colum H whihc is North America. It shows me highest value to lowest. However when I click in Column I (Total) or column E (Asia) and do the same sort, nothing happens. The pivot table won't sort my data after the first time. How do you fix that?

When I take out the 3 columns of row data (Column B, C, D) and just leave 1 item it srots correctly. HOwever I want to have it sort correctly with all 4 columns of row data in there

I understand what you mean. This is confusing, but the PivotTable sort "applies a sort" in this way:

-Say you have columns A B and C. You want to sort by C, so you click sort. Well, it will apply the sort like "first A, then B, then C". So, C will only be sorted after A and B are. To get C sorted, you would move the contents of column C over to column A, in front of the contents of A (which would become B, and B would become C). You could then sort "Asia"...

It doesn't behave the same way that an AutoFilter does (which is the traditional sort of the "I want this sorted, so I click it and it sorts no matter where it sits" behavior).

Hope that helps...

Back