• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

pivot table external data sources, multiple csv files Any help appreciated

Hi everyone

I have been reading and googling and trying and failing :-(

This is a bit advanced for me, but I am trying to bring data into a Pivot table from external data sources, namely csv files. I can get it to work for one .csv file but then when i got to do another I have problems

I am not understanding if I need to keep setting up a New data source for each csv file?

eg March.csv, april.csv, may.csv etc?

Also sometimes i don't see all the columns eg when you get to the part you choose which columns it only shows F1 F2 ( but there are many more than this) so I keep deleting the data source and redoing it.... arrgg very frustrating

Also as I have multiple csv files all set up the same, and I would ideally like to bring data from more than one at a time into my Pivot table but because they are the same I cannot find a way to "join" them..

I use Excel 2003, Any help or good books or other ways to find out more about this?

thanks

Hi,

Go over to the Contextures website these may offer some help?

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot08.html

or may be this?

http://excelusergroup.org/forums/t/815.aspx

FriendlyGardener

Not my area of expertise but have a look at

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2008/04/30/append-multiple-text-files-into-a-worksheet-without-code.aspx

It is written based on 2010 and so not sure how backward compatible it might be or applicable to your application

Let us know how you go

ps: It works in 2007

Hi Hui

This looks brilliant!!!! Wow Thanks so much,,, I will try it out and let you know.

To get such a quick response and so useful I am so HAPPY

:--)

Hi all

Update

Thanks to Hui advice and link and the instructions I can bring in multiple .csv files to my Pivot table... only problem is that there is a blank row between each file (table)...And this is causing problem as I cannot group dates.

My problem now is trying to work out how to get rid of this blank row. There is a statement in SQL something like

SELECT * FROM `march.csv

UNION ALL

SELECT * FROM
Code:
april.csv

which is how the query joins the files... any suggestions what to put to add to ignore blank rows?

Thanks

FriendlyGardener

Check your data doesn't have a blank row or maybe a <CR> at the end of the last row

It doesn't insert blank rows for me

thanks Hui

I will have a look at the .csv files tommorrow... obviously there do have blank rows at the end of the data... but I will look out for anything else... Good to hear that you have done this without blank rows...

I will see how i go :)

I solved the problem with the empty row by adding

WHERE
Code:
column b
IS NOT NULL

to the SQL query in the data connection. Now I can group dates and bring multiple files in... GREAT :)

Thanks

Back