• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Performance Profile Chart

Mi.ke

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hope you can help me with a performance profile chart.

I use a technique called performance profiling and it looks something like this: http://www.coachescolleague.com/articles/performance-profiling

I'm looking for a way to automate it. I've tried a filled radar chart, which comes close, but it is not as good because it colors the area between points that don't have much to do with eachoter and is difficult to enter multiple scores in a clear way.

I had a look at a dartboard technique from peltiertech.com, but that's out of my leaugue at the moment.

Hope someone has an idea. And if you have an easier or better way to present the same information, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Is there a hard requirement for it to be in a circle? Looking at the linked site and at the goal, I don't see a reason why this couldn't be a bar chart, or event multiple bar/thermometer charts, since as you said, there's no real connection between the categories.

Simplest way would be a cluster bar chart. You could have 1 series be the Goal Series, and then plot multiple other series to compare against goal or each other. If the goal is the visual affect of "not seeing any red" a thermometer chart would also be a good idea. I think Jon Peltier has done a few examples, or Chandoo has a few articles as well:

http://chandoo.org/wp/tag/thermometer-charts/

Hello Luke,

Thanks for your quick reply. Bar charts or thermometers could work. The requirement for it to be in a circle isn't rockhard. I only know performance profiles in a circle, but I'm not sure why that is. A possible advantage is that it uses the space better and that it's easier to get an intuïtive idea of the allround performance. Besides that, now that I'm thinking about it, I do think it looks cooler.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go with that for now, but if anyone knows how to get it done in a circle, I would still be interested.

If going more for a "cool" appearance, might use bubble charts, with a part of objects for each category. Thinking of something similar to this chart:

http://chandoo.org/wp/2012/08/22/growing-a-money-mustache-using-excel/

Where the variable to change controls the size of the object. Could use different shapes for different items, which might have some fun usage. You could change the x-y position of each pair of objects where ever you want on the main chart.

Thanks Luke,

Pro's: It looks cool and adds loads of possibilities

Con's: It would be great for the overall idea, but because it doesn't hold as much information I would need additional graphs for the subaspects.

I'll start playing around with it. I'm guessing the circle option isn't as easy as I hoped. I wonder if it's possible.

<BODY>Even if you still have health insurance in California as a benefit of employment, your coverage is likely to shrink right before your eyes. According to the non-profit Fund of the Commonwealth,isabel marant sneakers, California employers have been hit by an increase of 39 percent in the co t of family health coverage in just six years (from 2003 to 2009). He has co
? Tee employers,isabel marant, on average,isabel marant sneakers, $ 12,631 to provide health insurance in California as an advantage the company last year. However,isabel marant sneakers, employers in 27 other states have faced rate increases even more. Before you feel sorry for employers to ask who is really paying for the escalating price of health care in the United States. Companies generally

chip in about 75 percent of premiums for their employees, but the higher premiums increase,isabel marant sneaker, more employees have to manage themselves. As expected, workers pay more for their health care, even with group plans.</BODY>

Related articles:

Perhaps a Parallel Coordinates chart? I have a few examples on my web site:

peltiertech.com/WordPress/sample-parallel-coordinate-chart/

peltiertech.com/WordPress/composite-baseball-player-evaluation/

peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ParallelCoord.html

Back