• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Password

manoj_th

Hello Excel Gurus,

In our organization I found an excel file with a macro which really useful for me, but I want to make few changes in it as the VB code is protected with a password.

Is it possible to know/break that password? If yes, Please give me a solution.

Reason being asking this is the person who created macro left the organization.

Thanks

Yes, it is possible. The security on any MS Office file is nearly non-existent. Do a google search, and you'll find dozens of free programs that will work.

As this info is already available on the internet, and in the hope that it shows others that no password within XL or VB is secure, I would direct you to:

http://www.zorvek.com/excel/removing-an-excel-workbook-vba-password.htm

Note: If this is a 2007+ file, it's a little trickier, as 2007 files are actually zip files. You might be able to still get this to work by saving the workbook as a 2003 file.

@Luke,

My security software throw a wobbly with that link and suggested I didn't go there, but this might be of interest

http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/index.php/hack-into-a-protected-excel-2007-or-2010-workbook

@oldchippy

I shall copy the post then. I think the link you posted is only for workbook protection, not VB protection.

Copied from link posted above:

Removing an Excel Workbook VBA Password

A VBA project password can be removed with a hex editor. Close the workbook and open the workbook file in the hex editor. Find the string "DPB" and change it to "DPx". Save the file. Open the workbook and click OK until the workbook is open (one or more dialogs are displayed describing various problems with the VBA project). Press ALT+F11, choose the menu command Tools->VBAProject Properties, navigate to the Protection tab, and change the password but do not remove it (note the new password). Save, close, and re-open the workbook. Press ALT+F11 and enter the new password. Choose Tools->VBAProject Properties, navigate to the Protection tab, and remove the password. Save the workbook.

Back