• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Need help creating formula array to look for text in cells

johnelstad

I have two columns. The first has a string of text, (e.g., "010812_Sports&Outdoors_Exercise&Fitness_L2_Story1G1"). The second will either have "CMS" or "OC" in it. Thus far, I've been able to create a few formula arrays to show me the sum of all rows where there is both (for example) "sports" in column 1 and "cms" in column 2. Here's a sample formula:

{=SUM((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sports",$B$2:$B$500)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("cms",$E$2:$E$500))))}

However, now I need to do more advanced text searching: finding any instance of several strings, but not others. The English version of the query would be, "Add up all the instances where a cell in column 1 has either "electronics" OR "toys", but NOT "video", and the same cell in the second column has "cms."

I've spent a few hours on this using SEARCH, COUNTIF, and others, but to no avail. Can you help?

Thanks!

I think this will do it.

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("electronics",$B$2:$B$500)))+(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("toys",$B$2:$B$500)))*(ISERROR(SEARCH("video",$B$2:$B$500)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("cms",$E$2:$E$500))))

That did the trick! Thanks, Luke, for the fast help!

Now I understand why my formulas weren't working; I was trying to do too much within each function instead of just breaking them up. I also hadn't considered excepting "video" using the ISERROR command. I'll be using that a lot.

Thanks again!

Back