• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Multiple criteria RANK using dates

semper5

Hello all,
I am trying to rank people based on hire dates, including prior service folks. How do I use the RANK statement for multiple columns? If a person was hired the same day as another, I would want the prior service column to be the tie-breaker. I will also add an additional column to include another tie-breaker.

Please find attached the sheet.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• General Tracking.xlsx
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
Thank you so much! Seeing you used 'IF' and 'RANK', I will look at this when I am more awake to see how it works! Thank you for your help.

vletm,
Thank you for your help in this. based on the sheet you provided a solution, how can I add an additional column to add criteria for a tie breaker? Under the final rank column, there are still a few duplicate positions. These positions have a tie0breaker each year. Can you tell how to incorporate this?

I have attached a file with some notes. I don't understand RANK very well. Thank you for your help in this.

Attachments

• General Tracking.xlsx
    119.2 KB · Views: 6
semper5
Things can make many ways ...
I add new H-column as TieBreak-value (now Random value); it is less than 1.
It can set also manually, but ... less than 1.
I changed K-column name to Value.
It always includes Tiebreak-value.
Now, there won't be (... of course it is still possible)
same rank-values in L-column!

Attachments

• General Tracking.xlsx
    118.7 KB · Views: 6
I just found out our rules do not permit us to use Excel RAND in order to break a tie for seniority. (Has to be a witnessed function). Is it possible for you to provide a way to highlight duplicates in order to manually enter the tie-breaker?

seniority is based on EOD. If more than 1 employee has the same EOD, the SCD will be the tie-breaker. If the SCD is the same as the EOD, then a user-entered tie-breaker must be used.

semper5 - reread my previous #7 reply slowly.
As I wrote:

(now Random value) means that OF COURSE that value can change as You would like to do, as You wrote in Your file ... Someone make it once a year or something like that!
If I had left those values as empty then there could be 'double ranked' as before, #2 Reply.
>> So, add Your OWN values as You would need! <<
Those values work only then there are 'duplicates' BEFORE that column-value!
Like: if ranks are before 'tie-breaker' with two or more just 1 (one).
then 'tie-breaker' value also would notice (as always) ...
then with 'tie-breaker' all final ranks cannot have same value!
... or only if someone has set two or more 'tie-breaker'-values same = not good!

semper5 - reread my previous #7 reply slowly.
As I wrote:

(now Random value) means that OF COURSE that value can change as You would like to do, as You wrote in Your file ... Someone make it once a year or something like that!
If I had left those values as empty then there could be 'double ranked' as before, #2 Reply.
>> So, add Your OWN values as You would need! <<
Those values work only then there are 'duplicates' BEFORE that column-value!
Like: if ranks are before 'tie-breaker' with two or more just 1 (one).
then 'tie-breaker' value also would notice (as always) ...
then with 'tie-breaker' all final ranks cannot have same value!
... or only if someone has set two or more 'tie-breaker'-values same = not good!

Gotcha! Thank you for your explanation!

Best regards,

Semper5

Back