• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Multi select drop-down without VBA

Nithya James

Dear Excel users,
I have a excel sheet where I want to restrict the users to select values from the drop down, which I can do it easily using data validation. But I want to select multiple options from the drop down list without using any VBA script. Is that possible using any conditional formatting or cell formatting? or any alternative approach to select multiple options to select multiple values from the given cell, without using macro ?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think it's have multiple selection made in single cell without some sort of code. But I'm not sure I get what you are trying to achieve.

If you can mock up how your workbook looks like and where you want users to make multiple selection from list, and where the result should be displayed. May be we can help.

Hi Chihiro,
In this excel sheet, when you see the 'update_sheet', in some columns (ghs_statement, statement) there is a drop down where we restrict the customers to select the value from it. It is now using VBA to enable the multi select feature, but I want to replicate the same either in python script (or) using some formula

Attachments

• _GHS_Classification_upload_TemplateV2_5-9-2018.xlsm
    289.1 KB · Views: 25
Ok, you won't be able to do this without VBA in Excel.

I haven't used Python to manipulate Excel workbook, other than loading existing data from Excel and writing back transformed data (or running web query on python and outputting result to Excel).

I'd imagine it is possible to create entire set up including GUI in python.
https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Then create/write to workbook in memory using OpenPyXL.
https://openpyxl.readthedocs.io/en/stable/tutorial.html

But my recommendation is to stick with VBA, writing this out in python will be more work than what it's worth.

I'm curious, is there specific reason why you want to avoid VBA in this workbook? There's other components of this workbook that requires VBA.

If above isn't what you are looking for... perhaps leverage one of following if you have Office 365 subscription.
  • Forms - Multi select radial
  • SharePoint - Use list and Lookup Column with Multi Select
For SharePoint option, you'd need External Users Sharing turned on.

I wanted to move out of VBA because I want to upload the result file to a tool which accepts only .xlsx files not .xlsm files.

Why not just save the end result sheet as xlsx?

I'm not sure what your use case is. Since the workbook itself is designed to generate XML file for upload...

Back