• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Manual Calc v's Auto Calc

Busymanjohn

Hi guys, I think I know the answer to this, but thought it worth raising. If I receive an Excel file form another person and they have been using manual calc, when I open it it sets all other workboks I have open to manual calc as well, is there a way to stop this happening? Version 2003!

Hi Kris, yeah, I don't think there is a way to stop this happening, just becomes frustrating when I have workbooks already open and my setting is auto calc, then when I open a file from someone else and they are using manual calc, all my already open workbooks default to manual calc .... frustrating.

Hi, Busymanjohn!

Excel lacks of a reset feature to restore configuration as desired so it's actually an annoying thing that any opened workbook which has macros could change our default values.

Yesterday I realized that my column names were changed to numbers, so instead of A, B, C, ... I had 1, 2, 3, ... The cause? Well, I guess, I'm sure that a file which changed the row notation to R1C1 form.

What to do? I don't imagine anything but a .xlsm workbook with this code in ThisWorkbook section:

-----

[pre]
Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
' put here all the stuff to set Excel config to your defaults
If Workbooks.Count > 1 Then ActiveWorkbook.Close False
End Sub
[/pre]
-----

How to use it? After opening any suspicious file with macros, just open this workbook to reset configuration parameters, it'll be automatically closed without saving. For editing purposes open it on a clean instance of Excel, that's to say being the only workbook in memory, edit it as required and save it.

Hope it helps.

Regards!

Back