• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Joining two formulas

kunal kishore

Hi this is Kishore.

I want to join two formulas.I have used the formulas seperately and it has given results but when i combine them it leads to mishap.My formulas are -

=IF(H6=1,"L1",if(h6=2,"L2",if(h6=3,"L3",if(h6=4,"L4",if(h6=5,"L5")))))

=and(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1),IF(H6=1,"L1",if(h6=2,"L2",if(h6=3,"L3",if(h6=4,"L4",

if(h6=5,"L5")))))

Kunal

When you say join, can you try and elaborate how you want the formulas joined?

Hi Kunal,

Did you mean something like this?

H6 is the rank you are calculating for G6 from G6:G10? If yes, then the below formula works.

=IF(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)=1,"L1",IF(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)=2,"L2",IF(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)=3,"L3",IF(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)=4,"L4",IF(RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)=5,"L5")))))

You can also try:

="L"&RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1). This will also give you the same result.

Thanks Varak for the solution.

your solution is perfect but the problem is that i have no.of blank cells in between.I have to rank only those cells which have a value.

Each cell here contains a value that comes after adding several rows in a range above it.Now here some cells in the range may be without a value i.e. blank.Thus the value that

comes after adding a range that contains a particular no.of blank cells should be ranked as invalid.

Hi Kunal,

My previous formula ="L"&RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1) only ranks the numbers (Infact, Rank formula ranks the numbers :) ). It throws up #N/A if the cell is blank. Let me know if this is not the case.

By using if and isna we can eliminate #N/A's and make that as invalid rank.

=IF(ISNA("L"&RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1)),"Invalid Rank","L"&RANK($G6,$G$6:$G$10,1))

Did I get you right?

Hi Varak

Your formula is perfect when we are ranking cell values in a row with few blank cells in between.But my question was whether we could make that cell value invalid which comes after adding a column where some cell values are missing.The cell value in this case would definitely be minimum.

Back