• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Inserting a blank row after every alternate item of a list

DJ

Hi,

I need help with a problem. Please help.

I have a list in a column. Lets say Sheet1 has a list of names from A1:A50 and I need to insert a blank row after every item of the list. I tried to select every alternate row and insert new row but it inserts a row afer every 2nd item which is obviously not a solution.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks,

DJ

Hi DJ ,

If you do not have a problem with formulae , then what you can do is use the following formula in an unused column , copy the formula down as far as required , copy the result and paste it back in column A.

=IF(MOD((ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,1)<>0,"",OFFSET($H$6:$H$9,(ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,0))

I have assumed that your data is in column H , from H6 through H9.

Change these address references to suit your data.

Narayan

Last edited:
Hi,

Copy the below code and run it will work.

Sub InsertBlankRow()

For r = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1

Rows(r).Insert Shift:=xlDown

Next r

End Sub

Source:http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=79271

Thanks,

Suresh Kumar S

Deb: Hye DJ! You can do this by SORT!!

DJ: by Sort.. How?

Deb: OK, Insert a blank row.. i.e A:A.. Write 1, at A1, 2 at A2.. and then Fill Handle Series.. It will come up with 1,2,3... 50

Now Copy 1 to 50.. and paste the same at A51. (which are currently Blank Row)

Now Select all Cells.. and SORT.. by Column A..

It will Sort.1,1..2,2..3,3... and so on.. where 1st 1 is your data.. and 2nd 1 is blank from the bottom part of the sheet..

Dont forget to delete the inserted Row at A:A.. :)

for more detail visit..

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/vba-code-requiered-for-adding-blank-row#post-33669

Regards,

Deb.

PS:

I tried to select every alternate row and insert new row

You have to select each row.. individually by pressing CTRL to insert row at each row..

Hi DJ ,

If you do not have a problem with formulae , then what you can do is use the following formula in an unused column , copy the formula down as far as required , copy the result and paste it back in column A.

=IF(MOD((ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,1)&#60;&#62;0,"",OFFSET($H$6:$H$9,(ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,0))

I have assumed that your data is in column H , from H6 through H9.

Change these address references to suit your data.

Narayan
Hi Narayan

I was looking for a solution for automatically inserting rows in a list. Icopied your formula above but cant figure out how to treat #60, does it represent a row or column?

Hi Narayan

I was looking for a solution for automatically inserting rows in a list. Icopied your formula above but cant figure out how to treat #60, does it represent a row or column?

If there's some unusual chars in a formula/code then it was happen due to forum migration, check this link for further info on this!

http://chandoo.org/forum/threads/upgraded-forums-old-vba-codes-formula-handling.12080/

Formula is

=IF(MOD((ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,1)<>0,"",OFFSET($H$6:$H$9,(ROW(H6)-ROW($H$6))/2,0))

Back