• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

+index

Shoebird

Quick question that I haven't found an answer to.

What is the difference between using Index and +index or any function where you use a "+" sign in front of the function name?

Thanks!

The "+" is not modifying the name in any way. It is stricly a mathematical operator, meaning to add the result from the function. Along those lines, the "ancient ones" used to start a formula using "+" instead of "=", so you would type "+SUM(A:A)" (sans quotes) to make a formula. XL is smarter now, and converts this to a formula, but occassionally you still see something like:
=+SUM(A:A)
In this case, the "+" at the beginning serves no purpose, other than to let you know that the person who wrote the formula has been writing formulas for a long time. :p

That is a beautiful answer! Knowing that now, I will not be using the "+" at the beginnng because I am relatively new but I will be able to see who the veterans are. And thank you for the answer Luke. Felt like I was missing something but I didn't know what it was and searching didn't provide the answer.

Thank you again!

In this case, the "+" at the beginning serves no purpose, other than to let you know that the person who wrote the formula has been writing formulas for a long time.

Bit sneaky to refer to SirJB7 in such a way Luke M

Back