• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to put my Excel spreadsheet on a diet.

Eloise T

I have a spreadsheet with just over 20 tabs. Each tab represents, by name, a different salesman for the company. Each week I'm emailed the sales for each salesman via their Excel spreadsheet which gets appended to the respective salesman's tab. Currently, the spreadsheet exceeds 6Mb. Last week, for concealment, I moved about 20 cells of data to the bottom of one of the tabs (Cells: A1045874 to J1048576) so that only I knew where it was. When I saved the file, I happened to check the file size. It had grown to over 38Mb. That was a problem I couldn't live with so I cut and pasted the 20 cells of data from Cells A1045874 to J1048576 to the bottom of the current data (Cell: A2500) and checked the file size...38Mb. My next attempt to eliminate the file fat, I highlighted from A2501 to J1048576 and used HOME > Editing > Clear. Checked the file size....STILL at 38Mb! Not until I recreated the tab and copied and pasted ONLY the current data A1 to J2500 did the file size go back to 6Mb. Anyone know of a better/quicker/more timelier way to eliminate the file fat in this case?

I tend to select entire rows and extend using ctrl/+shift+down arrow, and then delete sheet rows. The Used Range only adjusts following a Save and Load cycle and, even then, there appear to be no guaranties.

Maybe a hidden sheet would serve you better next time you wish to move data out of sight.

I go with, for each sheet:
- Find the last cell (CTRL+END)
- Select all columns from end of data until this last cell and delete those columns
- Same for the rows
Save.

Along the same road as @pecoflyer's idea, keep data external and create a single pivot where data can be filtered by user. I would be surprised such workbook exceeds 6 MB.

I go with, for each sheet:
- Find the last cell (CTRL+END)
- Select all columns from end of data until this last cell and delete those columns
- Same for the rows
Save.

Along the same road as @pecoflyer's idea, keep data external and create a single pivot where data can be filtered by user. I would be surprised such workbook exceeds 6 MB.
Thank you for your suggestion and clarification. I will look into that as well. Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by diet? I mean, I kind of slightly understand, but I’m not sure if I get it right. Anyway, I am sure that you can find all the information you need on google. No offence here, but I feel like you people are slowly becoming pretty lazy and soon enough you will lose the ability of simply googling things. Anyway, I am kind today, so you can find all the information you need and even a little more here spreadsheet vs database. Thank me later about it. To be honest, this website has helped me so much that you cannot even imagine. You can simply be a zero in marketing and all this data analysis, and after reading it you will already know exactly how everything works.

That's a pretty bold statement for someone who's only been a member 8 days, and weighing in on a question that's over 3 months old.
BUT, in case you don't understand "diet" and really care, please re-read Panels #1, #2, and especially the link in #3.

@Draszer

Please remember to follow all forum rules, including being respectful of other members. We are all at different points on the path of learning.

Back