• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to dynamically color a line chart (based on info in a data table)

Lolo

Hello,

I want to color a simple line chart with conditional color. Basically I have a data table with 4 columns :
- a column with a year (2014)
- a column with a month (from jan to dec)
- a column with data (from jan to dec)
- a column with info 'REAL' or 'ESTIMATE'. The data is considered as an estimate value when the year month is > current year month.

In my line chart I want to distinguish the 'REAL' values from the 'ESTIMATE', by using 2 colors

For example:
part line for jan and feb is in blue and part line from march to december is in yellow.

I'm able to do it manually by using 2 series, but I need to manually select the right range regarding de period. So each month I would have to change it...

I would have a dynamic solution, where the color change like with a conditional format.

I have tried to use VBA, but if I'm able to focus on a line section, that's all. I'm unable to test what is this section value (which related month or which related info 'ESTIMATE' or 'REAL', in order to specify the right color :(

If someone can help me...
Thank you

for sure ;)
It is in attached. (it is just a basic example)

I have find a way by adding a column called 'estimate data only', which contains data only if type='estimate', and using 2 series in the chart. (see tab 'DATA2')

but I'm wondering if there is a way to do it only with the original columns, and VBA ? Because If I need to create an extra column at each time, it is perhaps a little bit hard...

Attachments

• test.xlsx
    24.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi ,

See this file.

One point I would like to make is that a line chart is not the correct type of chart for what you wish to do ; a bar chart would be more suitable , and that is what I have used. The values in a line chart pertain to individual points , and the lines are just connections ; thus , if your first two points are actual values , then only those points would be coloured , and not the first two lines. In a bar or column chart , the first two bars or columns would be coloured.

Narayan

Attachments

• test (2).xlsm
    44 KB · Views: 14
Back