• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Highlight the searched contents by using CTRL+F

Mudassar.freedi

Dear,

can excel highlight the "lazy dog" in a cell, if we search text by using CTRL+F?

like, if A1 cell contains "A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". then "lazy dog" should be highlighted if search command given.

Thanks

Mudassar

Mudassar,

Though a valid query, however in the context of Excel this is not valid and also I do not see a valid reason for asking this feature.

When searching for some text in Excel, it takes you to the cell that contains the search string as the cell is the placeholder for the same.

You are able to using this feature in Word, notepad, etc and they are document editors.

Excel is a spreadsheet and one needs to understand this.

Having said that, though I have not tried this as of now, I think this can be done using VBA.

HTH

~VijaySharma

Vijay,

thanks for your comments. you are right but i have used little example here instead i have a big assignment contains more than 100 words in each cells.

now tell me; how can we find a word if excel contains more than 100 words in each cells x 1000 rows x 20 columns data?

Rgds,

Hafiz

Mudassar,

try the below and change are per your needs

Code:
Sub srch()

myword = "dog"

'assuming your statement is in cell a1

With Range("a1")

.Characters(Start:=InStr(.Value, myword), Length:=Len(myword)) _

.Font.Bold = True

End With

With ActiveCell

.Characters(Start:=InStr(.Value, myword), Length:=Len(myword)) _

.Font.Color = vbRed

End With

End Sub

~VijaySharma

Hi Mudassar ,

The link given below , has a VBA procedure which does what I think you are looking for , though it is not based on using CTRL + F.

http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming/753248-vba-code-to-find-and-highlight-specific-text-in-entire-workbook-not-just-active-sheet.html

Narayan

Back