• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Get text from cell comments

will31

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to obtain the text from a comment in a cell. I need this to work similar to a lookup since the cell address will be dependant on the project number (to give the row) and the column header (to give the column).

I found a UDF on Ozgrid;

http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ExtractCommentText.htm

I can't figure out how to create the coordinates formula to give the column and row number and the code gives an argument error at the clean_ part;

Code:

Function GetCommentText(rCommentCell As Range)

Dim strGotIt As String

On Error Resume Next

strGotIt = WorksheetFunction.Clean _

(rCommentCell.Comment.Text)

GetCommentText = strGotIt

On Error GoTo 0

End Function

Any ideas?

Will

The code should be

[pre]
Code:
Function GetCommentText(rCommentCell As Range)
Dim strGotIt As String
On Error Resume Next
strGotIt = WorksheetFunction.Clean (rCommentCell.Comment.Text)
GetCommentText = strGotIt
On Error GoTo 0
End Function
[/pre]

To use it Put a Comment in Say E5

and use =GetCommentText(E5)

The clean _ part means the next line of code is a continuation of the current line

You have to watch when you copy code of the web a lot of the non Alpha Numeric characters don't copy correctly

especially _, ", ' and - characters

If you see Red in VBA look for those characters and retype them as they should be

Thanks Hui that works great.

Do you know of a way to use formula's to obtain the cell reference based on a condition? The column will not change but the row will be dependant on the contents of column A:A.

Have a look at either the Indirect or Offset functions.

Chandoo has done articles on both.

I created a formula;

=GetCommentText((INDIRECT("'"&$B3&"'!$O$"&MATCH(MultiSearch!$C3,INDIRECT("'"&$B3&"'!$A$2:$A$1000"),0))))

this returns the correct coordinates and sheet but doesn't give the comment. I'm confused why it doesn't work

Will

Try doing the GetCommentText manually and put the reference in manually

and also try =text((INDIRECT("'"&$B3&"'!$O$"&MATCH(MultiSearch!$C3,INDIRECT("'"&$B3&"'!$A$2:$A$1000"),0))),"Text")

the 2 references should be the same

Look for extra spaces that the formula may have added

or correct "" etc

Back