• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Formatting is off but where

Howdy folks, I have had this up a few times and can not seem to find my error and/or how to change one of the cells. Without going into too many details on how this all works if we can focus on my error I think that would be best. Perhaps I am wrong on that, We will see

If you look at Game #50 in the Input Book cell I32 had a E in it but the cell H32 is red. Cell H32 needs to be white. Cell I35 is Red and it too needs to be white. There is a lot of conditional formatting with this and I have been through it with a fine tooth comb (at least i think I have) The letters in the columns IJ TU AE AF have the color rules when you high light GH RS AC DC. When you place a EO or UD in the cells the formatting is when you high light AI AJ AK AL AM AN.

If you go to game 49 cell I22 has a E in the cell and cell H22 is red. That cell should be white and cell G22 should be Green. Same as cells H13 should be white and G13 should be green

To help lead you in the right direction. The cells in GH are fed from cells BH BI BK BL BN BO. From that it goes to B25 which is the game number.

I am trying to figure out how to change the cells to make the ones that need to be white and the ones that need to be green. The 4 digit counters are from and external book called OBHITS. If you open it up to the pages that have the #1A-E-O through #5E-O those are the cells in question. I have even games and odd games. Even is green and odd is red. On the 1st tab #1A-E-O row 3 is counter number 3631. It matches the Input Book Game 50 row 19 CDEF. In the OBHITS book the 3 is under a green 3E, the 6 is under a red 1E , the either 3 is under a green 1O and the 1 under a red 1O. The 5 under 4T changed to a 6 in T3 making this number EVEN (for E) but if you look in the Input book I have a O in J19 which means it took a O (for Odd) to make that cell true. I need to figure out how to change that cell. I am only telling you this connection because the issues mentioned above is how the sheets work. Now, you can change the 1 in cells GHIJ on the #1A-E-O page. You can delete the 1 in H3 and put a 1 in J3 and the counter will change to Odd 3532. When you relink the books the counter in the Input Book Game 50 row 19 CDEF should change from 3631 to 3532, it is not and I do not know why. This is my issue

I know this is very complex but when you start getting into it , its not really that difficult IMHO. I have been chasing this error for months, had several ppl look at it with no hope and no help. Let's see if one of you GURUs can find it PLEASE LOL

Thanks guys and gals, I REALLY need to fix this. Oh, all the games are supposed to be programmed the same exact way and I am beginning to think my CF is not the same even though when I check it it appears to be

Attachments

• (LMK Numbers Input).xlsm
    729.7 KB · Views: 8
  • LMK OB Hit Numbers Book.xlsx
    946 KB · Views: 3
Hi Jack,
I know the problem seems very complex, and you're the designer. For us, being on the outside, being handed 2 workbooks with LOTS of sheets is just overwhelming. Can you simplify it down? Need to specify which exact sheet(s) to look at, and which cells? When you say things like
"When you place a EO or UD in the cells the formatting is when you high light AI AJ AK AL AM AN."
It's confusing to us, as you've only given a column reference, rather than a column and row. Try to give us proper references like AI2:AN2. That saves us time and pain by knowing where to look.

The easiest way for me to explain this or start to is go to Game 49 on the Input book. Cell H15 has a 6 and is RED. I need to figure out how to make H15 white and make G15 Green without changing the +1 -1 in column A

Each one of these games are supposed to be programmed the same exact way but somewhere I have some CF that is fighting against itself to place a color in some of the cells primarily GH 19-23. What I am trying to explain is I have some cells G19 H19, G20 H20, G21 H21, G22 H22, G23 H23 that if cell G19 is green it needs to be white. I can not figure out how to change them. I hope this makes sense

With 502 CF rules set just on Game 49, none of which stop if true, I don't think I have a chance of trying to figure out what is going on. :eek:
I would suggest either
a) Clear all the rules, and start over
b) Tell us what you goal is in laymans terms ("I want odd numbers yellow, even numbers green...") and let the forum help you write the rules.

Thanks Luke, I def don't want to start over lol. I just need to go one cell at a time and figure out what command makes that specific cell and others turn red/green. I know I gave two commands fighting each other somewhere. I'll fin fit eventually

What I really need is an excel guru that I can chat (via ph or net meeting) with and explain what's going on. Thus project took me two years + to build. Then I was hacked last September All my work scrambled and I've been fixing errors ever since. This is the last of them and my brain has been fried a time or two trying to figure out smoke stuff lol. I'm working with our local college professor whom has helped a lot actually

Hi there Larry,

I was just wondering why Luke hasn't responded yet to this post. I've been reading some of the threads lately and I believe Luke M has really done a long way to fix your excel problems. I don't often say this but please, don't say something like "What I really need is an excel guru that I can chat ... ". I don't know if that struck a nerve but if that were me, maybe it will. Sorry that you have to deal with this hacked workbook of yours. I know you'll fix it in time. Good luck.

Oh wow! Giloy. I didn't mean y'all were not. Y'all are FANTASTIC and not like other forums. And Luke is OMG AMAZING. What I meant for it to come out was if I could only talk on the phone with a guru it would be so much easier than trying to post that's what ibwas trying to say. So sorry

I really really REALLY feel bad it was misinterpreted. I'm not an ungrateful person. Just the opposite. Again, so sorry and VERY VERY appreciative.

Hi Jack & Giloy,
First, let me assure both of you that I did not take offense. Like Wikipedia, I try to assume the best about people when possible. :) But I appreciate Giloy's comment as well. There are some who seem to forget that we ninjas are just regular people too, who donate our time for free to the forum.
Chandoo and the ninjas have been talking about a way to setup some sort of "hire a ninja/consultant" page, but it is still early on. We're also trying to balance keeping the current Chandoo environment where learning is fun and awesome, vs. Ninjas seeking opportunity to turn our love into $$. :p

For this current situation, Jack, if you can list out what are the specific colors/rules that you need to happen to a cell, I can give it a shot. What I meant before was, there's no way I can sort through the hundreds of rules on my own and work backwards to what you were trying to achieve. :(

Hi Jack & Giloy,
First, let me assure both of you that I did not take offense. Like Wikipedia, I try to assume the best about people when possible. :) But I appreciate Giloy's comment as well. There are some who seem to forget that we ninjas are just regular people too, who donate our time for free to the forum.
Chandoo and the ninjas have been talking about a way to setup some sort of "hire a ninja/consultant" page, but it is still early on. We're also trying to balance keeping the current Chandoo environment where learning is fun and awesome, vs. Ninjas seeking opportunity to turn our love into $$. :p

For this current situation, Jack, if you can list out what are the specific colors/rules that you need to happen to a cell, I can give it a shot. What I meant before was, there's no way I can sort through the hundreds of rules on my own and work backwards to what you were trying to achieve. :(

Luke,

Thanks for chiming in because y intentions were not meant to be insulting.

Since this post I have gone cell by cell and found many of the errors and some of them actually fixed some of the cells which is good because I am learning and I want to learn as much as I can. What I will upload is an empty book which I have found is the easiest way to troubleshoot this. With the book being blank (no draw numbers) all the cells in G (3-7) H (3-7) R (11-15) S (11-15) AC (19-23) AD (19-23) should all be white and have no color in them. When I upload it I can explain the specifics

If you open the Input book and click on the tab Game 50. You will see the cells G32 and G35 are green. They should be white because no events have happened yet.

Game 45 cells AC 32 and 35 are Green and should be white.
Game 44 cells R and AC 32 and R and AC 35 are green and should be white
Game 43 Cells G32 and G35, R32 and R35 are green. AD 32 and AD 35 are red and should all be white.
Game 42 cells H32 and H35 are red, S 32 and S 35 are red AD 32 and AD 35 are red and should all be white

Let me know if I still need to explain how it works or would it just be easier to go to any of the other games and look at the same cell numbers. For example. If cell AC32 and AC35 is green in Game 45 and white in Game 46, then 46 is correct. All these games should all be identical

Attachments

• LMK empty OB Hit Numbers Book.xlsx
    799.1 KB · Views: 1
For some reason the Input book says its uploaded 100% but I do not see it so you can upload the other book and go to the input tab. Go to row 2 where the questions marks are across IJKLMNO and drag them all the way down so you have ? in all the cells. Now the book is empty. I will try to upload it again

The uploaded workbook does not have a sheet labelled "input". :(

I know Luke, the INput book would not upload for some reason. Its the same book as in the 1st post. You can download that one and take out the numbers from row 2 to 101 and it will empty the entire book

Taking a quick skim through the CF's, it looks like there's only a few possible outputs. Perhaps you could answer:
When should a cell be RED BACKGROUND?
When should a cell be GREEN BACKGROUND?
When should a cell have YELLOW BACKGROUND, Red text?
When should a cell have Gray BACKGROUND, Green text?
When should a cell have white fill and white text?

If you can lay out (not in XL, just like we're discussing ideas and writing in our notepads) all the different formats you need and their conditions, I can work on figuring out which conditions are not playing nicely together.

Taking a quick skim through the CF's, it looks like there's only a few possible outputs. Perhaps you could answer:
When should a cell be RED BACKGROUND? When the counter goes to Odd or Down
When should a cell be GREEN BACKGROUND? When the counter goes to Even or Up
When should a cell have YELLOW BACKGROUND, Red text? these are the counter numbers and when the game has been played
When should a cell have Gray BACKGROUND, Green text? these are the counter numbers and when the game has been played
When should a cell have white fill and white text? when it is sitting idle

If you can lay out (not in XL, just like we're discussing ideas and writing in our notepads) all the different formats you need and their conditions, I can work on figuring out which conditions are not playing nicely together.

Let me work on this

Wanted to bring you up to date. I did some reading in this little book I have of 3000 pages LOL and figured out how to copy and paste my CF and have all my cells the colors they need to be (-:

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HELP!!!!!!!! I appreciate all you guys and gals do on here and I am enjoying learning as much as I can. I am going over everything with a fine tooth comb and still need to see what happens when I do a reset so will keep you informed!! Again, THANK YOU !!!! You all have saved me so much time

Back