• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Find the previous occurrence multiple criteria (date and text criteria) in power pivot

I am trying in power pivot to create calculated columns that lookup previous occurances based on multiple crieria.
In the Table example screenshot in the attached workbook for the date 07.02.2021 for the team liverpool I want for example to create 3 calculated columns (Previous 1, Previous 2, Previous 3) that show the result for 3 previous home matches for liverpool.
For previous 1 it looks like when i lookup the previous date I get the correct date, but when I try to lookup the result i get "W" that is not correct (ref power pivot window in workbook)

Hope someone can help me with this.

Kindly Regards

Lars

Attachments

• 2021.02.18_Find the previous occurrence multiple criteria (date and text criteria) in power p...xlsx
    280.7 KB · Views: 5
In my opinion, this should be done in Power Query stage and not as calculated column.

Your main issue is that you are using MAX() on text field. Since, "W" is intrinsically larger (i.e. higher ASCII value) than "L" or "D", formula will always return "W" if it's found.

One way to do it...
Code:
=
RIGHT (
    CONCATENATEX (
        FILTER (
            Data,
            EARLIER ( Data[Home team] ) = Data[Home team]
                && EARLIER ( Data[Date] ) > Data[Date]
        ),
        Data[Home Result]
    ),
)

Alternately... this should be more performant.
Code:
=
VAR myDate =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Data[Date] ),
        FILTER (
            Data,
                && EARLIER ( Data[Date] ) > Data[Date]
        )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        LASTNONBLANK ( Data[Home Result], 1 ),
        FILTER (
            Data,
                && myDate = Data[Date]
        )
    )

Ok, I will look into the option to do this in power query, thanks for the advise and explanations why max didnt do the trick. The two code alternatives did to the trick in power pivot. Thank you very much for the help and assistanse :)

Regards
Lars

In the attached, a pure Power Query offering at cell AE4.
Right-click the table and choose Refresh to update it.
Currently hard-coded for 4 previous results but this can be made more flexible.

Attachments

• Chandoo45834 2021.02.18_Find the previous occurrence multiple criteria (date and text criteri...xlsx
    113.5 KB · Views: 6
Back