• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Extremely slow macros in Excel 2007

wouter.vanmeert

Hi there!

I've recently updated my excel 2003 to version 2007. Since the update, macros in an exceldashboard I created run extremely slow.

The dashboard consists of 2 types of pages:

1. Data pages that are updated monthly (just using links to other files).

2. The dashboard with a number of dynamic charts (only line and bar charts and combinations of both).

Using named ranges and offset, I give users the possibility to expaned the time range of my graphs (select a month they want and then see a historical evolution of a number of months of a given variable). The macros change the named ranges in the dataseries in my charts.

Since the update to excel 2007 themacros that manipulate these graphs run extremely slowly.

I don't think the problem is that my laptop is too slow, see the specs below:

Windows XP Professional

Intel Core i 3-2310M CPU @ 2GHz

795 MHz, 3.16 GB RAM

P.S. I'm a bit of a VBA beginner, so one of the problems could be that there's a lot of unnecessary code in the macros as I've recorded them. Still, manipulation of the graphs used to take about 1 or 2 seconds and will now take up to 30 seconds...

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Check that all links are valid, slow or missing links really slow things down

See if there are spare or unused Named Formula or Named Formula linking to non-existent files

Try the file on an Excel 2010 PC, 2007 was a poor version.

I've removed useless links and named ranges. It helped a little, but the problem hasn't been solved completely yet. I still have to test the file on Excel 2010 though. Thanks for the quick reply and the help!

If you have too many Data Tables you may want to remove a few of them also

That is Data, what Ida, Data Tables. Not normal data tables

wouter.vanmeert:

> 1. Data pages that are updated monthly (just using links to other files).

btw these files placed in your laptop or somewhere in local network?

i think you can open macro and insert some debug messages in suspect places

like:

Debug.Print ("mark 1")

Debug.Print ("mark 2")

Debug.Print ("mark 3")

then open Immediate window (Ctrl+G) and start macro

you will find out place where your code slow down

then you can dig deeper inside functions etc

You can also step through the macro lone by line and see where it is slowing down

If it's that slow you should be able to spot it

Set a break point F9 just inside the start of the code and then step through it line by line F8

Back