• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel VBA accesses word mailmerge and works in Excel 2003 but not newer versions

RJQMAN

I have the following code which works great in Excel 2003. It also works in Excel 2010 if the workbook is an Excel 2003 workbook.

This section of a complex VBA program is intended to open Microsoft Word, then have Word generate a sheet of mailing labels by reaching inside of Excel, finding the table entitled _A_Label_Table , and drawing information for the labels from that table. It uses a word document that I provide called "Label_Template" (it is a .doc document, not a .dot document though) for the format.

The program has worked great with Excel 2003 for many years, and still works fine in other versions of Excel if the program is saved as and Excel 2003 workbook. However, if it is saved as a macro-enabled workbook, the code no longer works. It cannot seem to find the table inside of the Excel file. The program crashes at the long statement starting with 'ActiveDocument.mailmerge...'

I am a retired self-taught senior citizen so my background is weak at best. The program is used at weekend events for high school students. It is in use about once a week between now and the end of November, and I do not know what to do to fix it. I have displayed the code below (with some lengthy message statements deleted - and with notes as to what the statements are for). Can anyone help me?? I am in a bind and need a quick solution. Thank you very much.

Code:
 Dim i As Integer
  Dim sPath As String
  Dim WrdApp As Object  ' This is done for 'late binding' - used in this sub (Object rather than dimensioning as an Application)
  Dim WrdDoc As Object
  Dim wbName As String
  '
   sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path 
  '
  '
  On Error GoTo ErrHandler:
  If Dir(sPath & "\" & "Label_Template.doc") <> "" Then
  Else
  MsgBox "OOPS!"
  '
  Exit Sub
  End If
  ' 
  Set WrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")  ' This is 'late binding' for Word (Late Binding requires all Microsoft Word items to be converted to numbers)
  WrdApp.Visible = True  ' This statment insures Word screen is visible to the user
  WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 2  ' This statement minimizes the Word display screen
  Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\Label_Template.doc")  ' This statment opens the Template
  With WrdApp
  .DisplayAlerts = 0
  .Application.WindowState = 2  ' This minimizes the Word display screen in the event user had redisplayed it
  .ScreenUpdating = False  ' This freezes the screen to speed up the macro
  .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = 3  ' This defines the MailMerge document as a 'Directory' document
' ====================
' PROBLEM STATEMENT FOLLOWS
' ====================
  .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:= _
  wbName, _
  ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _
  AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", _
  WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _
  Format:=0, Connection:= _
  "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source=wbName;Mode=Read;Extended Properties=""HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35" _
  , SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `__A_Label_Table`", SQLStatement1:="", _
  SubType:=1  ' This defines the source for the MailMerge Directory
  '
  With WrdApp.ActiveDocument.MailMerge
  .Destination = 0  ' This tells MailMerge to create a new document
  .SuppressBlankLines = True  ' This supresses blank lines
  With .DataSource
  .FirstRecord = 1
  .LastRecord = -16
  End With
  .Execute Pause:=False  ' This executes the MailMerge without pausing between entries
  .Application.WindowState = 2
  End With
  .ActiveDocument.SaveAs Filename:=sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc", FileFormat _
  :=0, LockComments:=False, Password:="", AddToRecentFiles:= _
  True, WritePassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, EmbedTrueTypeFonts:= _
  False, SaveNativePictureFormat:=False, SaveFormsData:=False, _
  SaveAsAOCELetter:=False  ' This defines the name of the new My_Show_Labels Document
  .ActiveDocument.Close (-1)  '(wdSaveChanges)  ' This saves the new My_Show_Labels document, saving it
  .ActiveDocument.Close (0) '(wdDoNotSaveChanges)  ' This closes the Template, restoring it to its original condition
  .ScreenUpdating = True  ' This resets the screen updating
  End With
  '
  If MsgBox("The program has generated a Ready-to-Print sheet of standard 1 inch by 2-5/8 inch mailing labels. Do you want to view the labels at this time?", vbYesNo, "USER INFORMATION") = vbYes Then
  Set WrdDoc = WrdApp.Documents.Open(sPath & "\My_Show_Labels.doc")
'
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized  ' This statement makes certain that Excel is fully visible when Word is closed later
  WrdApp.Application.WindowState = 1  ' This maximizes Word application for viewing in front of Excel in window
  Else
  WrdApp.Quit  ' This closes the Word application
  ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized  ' This restores the window for viewing Excel
  End If
  '
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
  Set WrdDoc = Nothing
  Set WrdApp = Nothing
  Exit Sub

I do not understand what you had posted. Perhaps I was not clear with my question. My program uses Excel as the driver, not Word - the problem I have is that after activating Word from Excel, Word does not seem to find table in Excel 2007-2013, but it can easily find the table in Excel 2003. It is all driven by Excel, not by word.

The program is used by very unskilled people who are working from the Excel program, which in my application is entirely menu driven by VBA once loaded. They need to be able to click a button in Excel to generate the labels, and they can do that with the program as written if they are using Excel 2003. They can't be setting up other stuff - I am lucky if they click on the correct button! I believe I need to reword the problem statement somehow, but I don't know how to do it.

The file I posted has similar code which does exactly what you want, yes Excel is driving the merge
It has been written to work in Excel 2007+

For more specific help Can you post a copy of the Excel file and an associated Word Document

Thanks. I had been working from your description and did not realize I could download the code - I finally stumbled on that feature, and it increased my understanding dramatically. I downloaded the code and will be trying to fit it into my application over the next couple of days - I have to leave now and head out for five shows this weekend - I will use the 2003 version of Excel in the meantime, as it works with my code. Thank you very much for answering my inquiry and trying to help me. Once I get a chance to fit the code into my 2010 Excel versions, I will get back with you. You are appreciated by me and indirectly by the kids I am trying to help with their special events.

I am sorry to have taken so long to respond, but this is the season when we use the program continuously, and I have been working on things associated with these contests non-stop for the past month. I had a few minutes today, and I wanted to advise that I found the problem with my code. My user was a 'soccer mom' that somehow had Word 2003 and Excel 2010, and when the Excel 2010 program went to Word 2003 , Word 2003 did not recognize Excel 2010 and therefore could not find the file in Excel 2010 - Word 2003 did not seem to recognize Excel 2010. Once I managed to insure the user had the same version of Word and Excel, the code once again worked properly. Thank you very much for your time and your help.

Back