• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

excel 2007 difficulty in filtering data by values on a pivot table - novice user

becha

hi all. i am new to chandoo's. i am starting to learn as much as possible all the intricacies of excel 2007. especially the advanced features such as filter, tables, pivot tables, macros, and so on.

while studying the pivot table features i came up with a small table of data.

i have by far understood many of the basic features of the pivot table.

however i am stuck on what will surely be something like piece of cake for many of you out there.

hopefully one of you can help me in resolving this issue:

i cant seem to perform a value filter by either row label or column label.

i have made a basic filter such as 'value equal to a piece of data i know actually exists in my pivot table (or source data)' but the pivot returns no results!

here is the rapidshare link to the file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/440052836/difficulty_to_do_a_value_filter_by_row_or_column_label_on_pivottable_excel07.xlsx

it is a small one with one sheet containing the data table and the pivot table.

could anyone please advise what seem to be the problem?

right now im going thru Microsoft's office support but i dont think i will get an answer on my doubt. in fact on one of their tutorials they performed a filter like this one and it worked. so i am wondering if the failure is because of how i designed my source data or the pivot table(?)

i apologize in advance if my issue results to be a dummie solution. im just trying to learn from the best.

thanks anyone for your assistance.

have a good year end and wish you all the best for 2011

best regards,

marianito

thanks hui. i think i just got an understanding of how the value filters work. tell me if i am right:

if i used the sum summarization subtotal for my data, does the filter work only by looking out for the grand totals? either by row or column label (depending on the field thats being filtered)?

let me know if i am right

i thought the value filter searched for any sum of values within the body or VALUES AREA regardless if these constituted a subtotal, a grand total or a simple sum of the many records that aggregate a common piece of data

hui...thanks; you are my first replied post!

PS.- let me know if you were able to download the file from rapidshare. ah! one more thing: if you reply i might counter reply until tomorrow morning (it is 23.00 hrs here in mexico!)

The file downloaded ok

When applying filters select the field you wish to apply it to

eg: B202, B206, B210 etc to apply a filter to Metrica

or

Lexus Inc, Xeon Inc to apply a filter to Cliente

thanks hui

just to double check and close this issue, please let me know if i was right when i said the follwoing last night:

does the filter work only by looking out for the grand totals? either by row or column label (depending on the field thats being filtered)?

let me know if i am right

i thought the value filter searched for any sum of values within the body or VALUES AREA regardless if these constituted a subtotal, a grand total or a simple sum of the many records that aggregate a common piece of data

gracias, thanks!

There's a good video on YouTube that should be able to help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVa7PIDfi5A

is it possible to create a calculated field formula using a conditional function such as IF and referencing to other Field Names and/or Item Names BESIDES the Field in which the formula or calculated item is being inserted on?

thanks

hi everyone; how can the additional fields created by the Group Command Option on a Pivot Table be Deleted from the PT?

Im not talking about removing them from the PT (but still show on the Field List Window) but actually to erase them off the Pivot

thanks in advanced 4 your shared knowledge

Back