• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Enter Key doesn't go to new row when spreadsheet is protected

ozziewendy

I have a sheet that is protected, with some columns enabled for data entry. Normally when you enter data into a sheet, pressing TAB to go from column to column, when you press Enter you go to the first column (or the column you started in) in the next row. However, with my protected sheet, pressing Enter takes you to the cell directly underneath the current one, not the one at the start of the row. It works fine if the sheet is unprotected, so it is definitely something to do with the protection.

Is there something I can do so the Enter key works as usual when the sheet is protected?

Hi Wendy ,

Click on the Office button ( in the top left corner ) , click on Excel Options , click on Advanced , select the direction Right from the drop-down at the top titled : After pressing Enter, move Selection.

Narayan

No, that doesn't do it. That will a) change the options for all spreadsheets, not just this one and b) just make the enter key work the same as the tab key, which isn't what I am after. The option is set correctly to 'Down', but it works differently depending on whether the sheet is protected or not. I want to make the protected sheet work the same as unprotected sheets. Thanks anyway for trying.

Hi Wendy ,

Can you check the attached workbook ?

There are 4 sheets in it , 2 of which are protected while the other two are unprotected ; as you move from one sheet to the other , the ENTER key behaviour is programmed to act normally in the unprotected sheets , where pressing the ENTER key moves the cursor down , and to act similar to the TAB key in the protected sheets , where pressing the ENTER key moves the cursor to the right.

See if you are happy with the behaviour , and then you can think of reproducing this same behaviour in your working file.

Narayan

Attachments

• Example_Wendy.xlsm
    17.1 KB · Views: 8
Back