1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Easy Contitional Formatting Question (I hope)

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Frank Bacchus, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Frank Bacchus

Frank Bacchus Member

All:

I have several columns in my spreadsheet, of which I would like to fill 2 columns with yellow if the value of one of the columns is "P". In the conditional formatting tool, I want to say "if the value in the column Q is "P", then fill Column Q and Column D with Yellow. In the formula (for the conditional format tool I said "=IF $Q:$Q EQ "P" ". I don't think this is correct. Can you please shed some light on this. Thanks.

frank
  2. Peter Bartholomew

Peter Bartholomew Well-Known Member

Assuming that it is the cells corresponding to each "P" in Column Q that you require to format, you could apply the conditional format to the range
    =$D$3:$D$25,$Q$3:$Q$25
    (comprising the union two columns) and based upon the formula
    = ($Q3 ="P")

Note that this is based upon a reference with relative row and absolute column.
  3. Frank Bacchus

Frank Bacchus Member

Peter:

Thanks for the response. I am not sure where "=$D$3:$D$25,$Q$3:$Q$25" goes. Can you please amplify? Thanks.

frank
  4. Peter Bartholomew

Peter Bartholomew Well-Known Member

It is the 'applies to' range of the conditional format. In this instance it is the combination (union) of the two columns you specified.