• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Drop down box with user defined input

Rodrigo

Hi,

I have a drop down box with 4 scenarios that relate to occupancy rates over a fifteen year period. The scenarios are as follows, current, best case, worst case and custom.

The first three are easy enough through a combination of the if and vlookup functions.

How do I go about allowing for the user to input his own values into the occupancy rates if he chooses "custom" from the drop down box.

This is what I have managed for the first three options except for the last option.

=IF(J7=1,VLOOKUP(J17,Occup_LU!H13:I27,2),IF(J7=2,VLOOKUP(J17,Occup_LU!K13:L27,2),IF(J7=3,VLOOKUP(J17,Occup_LU!N13:O27,2),IF J7=4,???????????????????)))

Regards

Rodrigo

2 points here

1. You have define 3 separate areas for the Current, Best and worst cases, what other cases have you predefined?

2. Instead of having a separate lookup range ie: H13:I27 and K13:L27 can you rearrange your data to have a common first column? Then you could do something like

=VLOOKUP(B7,Occup_LU!H13:Q27,choose(B8,2,3,4,5)) and simplify and replace the entire formula

Where B8 will give you the chance to pick columns 2,3,4,5 etc from the range H13:Q27

I have used B8 instead of your J7

and B7 instead of your J17 as they need to be out of the data range

Rodrigo

If you want to keep the same system of 2 columns of lookup with a blank column between you could try something like:

=VLOOKUP(J17,OFFSET(Occup_LU!E13:F27,0,J7*3),2)

That will allow you to have any number of scenarios of 2 columns with a blank column between them offset to the right

Make sure J7>0 and an Integer.

Hi Hui, thanks for the post, the formula simplification works great. I have gone for the option of the common first column.

Now to the part where the user wants to define his own occupancy rates, i.e. the custom scenario. How do i go about allowing the user to define his own occupancy rates for each year of the fifteen year period.

The first three scenarios are predefined, i.e. I have a current scenario with increases/decreases to determine the best and worst case scenarios. The custom scenario is totally up to the user with theoretical inputs from 0% to 100%.

If the user chooses the custom scenario, the year occupancy rate input cell must allow for a % input.

Regards

Rodrigo

Back