• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Dilbert dares to suggest Excel...

Heh, goes to show no matter what tools are used, proper maintenance and up-keep is crucial to getting correct info for analysis ;)

I've yet to see company that kept CMDB up to date.

Hi ,

I think the cartoon might be quite old.

With the introduction of Power Pivot , and thereafter the entire BI suite , Microsoft has again regained a lot of those who had either never taken to Excel as a management tool , or who had tried it and found it wanting.

With their BI suite , I think it is all the other packages which might be thrown out the window.

Narayan

I'm in the middle of a GDPR track (hot topic in Europe) and therefore I related to the cartoon. And we do have a lot of data discussions. Then again, we are not using the MS BI suite. Don't know if MS likes we throw stuff out the windows.
(lame, lame,...)

With their BI suite , I think it is all the other packages which might be thrown out the window.

I don't quite agree there. You still want CMDB or other type of DB to store relational data (be it tabular or multidimensional). BI is layer on top of it for data discovery, analysis and reporting.

For simple data, and when it's small enough, Excel works fine as tabular db. But not when you are dealing with millions of rows of data. Typical scenario in enterprise environment.

Even for small to mid size business, you'd want true db for invoice data, inventory control etc.

But yes, BI suite from MS may eliminate many other competitors (Qlik, Tableau, TIBCO, SISENSE etc). While it's still early in it's life, it has monthly update that keeps on improving the product.

Though I'm not too happy with how they restructured pricing model (it gives no good pricing model for mid-sized company at the moment). Overall, I've been using the product for about a year now and happy with the product.

As Rob Collie already stated way back in 2012 :)
https://powerpivotpro.com/2012/10/big-data-is-just-data-why-excel-sucks-and-1000-miles-of-data/
On a personal note, I've managed to upload on a 32 bit install about 12 mio invoices. Above that number, no success. Ran out of memory.
I hear and read that many companies do not (want to) install the 64 bit version of Office. Has to do with MS advising to run 32 bit when you are not sure which one to install and/or to keep macros running. And other reasons I might forget.
If you are really using large to big data sets, then 64 bit is the only way. Power Query/PowerPivot in Excel or Power BI (which also comes in a 32 bit version by the way).
If you are stuck with a 32 bit version, then chances are you'll get frustrated very fast. A wise man,:awesome:, said once to not do data dumps. Normalize and clean up your data will bring your a bit further though. The ideal job for PQ, but in some cases you'll need to do some of the work before that step. When that is not possible, bound to sent some frowns...

Reluctance to moving to 64 bit is mostly due to one of following I find.

1. Ignorance about the difference between the two and what’s impacted
2. Custom code that makes API call to legacy item only available in 32 bit
3. Add-in (dll) written in vb6 in/for 32 bit
4. Backend Access db that’s in 32 bit (no real way to have 32 & 64 bit Office application play nice in the same environment)

Back