• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Determinig a winner from a rage of cells

god1mylove

Hey there,

We started a basketball themed game at our work that I need to create a spreadsheet for. It is very simple. Column "A" has each player from A4 to A20. Columns "B", "C", "D", "E", and "F" hold the score for each day for each member. And Column "G" has the total for the week. Just like basketball, there are four quarters, so each week is one quarter.

At the bottom of the spreadsheet I have cells for round 1, round 2, round 3, round 4, and winner. I would like to have the name of the player with the highest score for round 1, automatically enter into the "round 1" cell. For round 2 it will be the player with the highest combined score from round 1 and 2. And so on... until the winner.

Is there a way to do this?

Well, I dont know much about basetball other than the fact that there is a basket and there is a ball, probably somewhere far off from the basket.

But assuming you just decide the winner based on who in the A4:A20 range got highest points, use the following formula to find the name of winner for a round.

Assumes a round's scores in range B4:B20,

=INDEX(A4:A20, match(max(B4:B20), B4:B20,0))

Back