• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Customising colour palette (Excel 2007/2010)

AshbyMatt

1. Situation

Changing the top row in the colour palette is easy enough. (Create new theme colours in Page Layout.) However, the shades in the subsequent five row rows in the colour palette seem to be fixed at Lighter 80%/60%/40% and Darker 25%/50%.

2. Challenge

How can I change the shades of theme colours in the colour palette? For example, if I would like Lighter 20%, this currently is not one of the options.

3. Solution?

I haven't been able to find one for Excel 2007/2010. Could VBA help?

(I have thought about using cell styles, but I don't think that solves the issue if I want to use the colour palette to apply formatting to things other than cells, for example chart objects.)

Grateful for any suggestions.

Hi AshbyMatt,

First of all welcome to Chandoo's website Excel forums. Thank you for your joining us and glad to have you here.

As a starting point I'd recommend you to read the three first green sticky topics at this forums main page. There you'll find general guidelines about how this site and community operates (introducing yourself, posting files, netiquette rules, and so on).

Among them you're prompted to perform searches within this site before posting, because maybe your question had been answered yet.

Feel free to play with different keywords so as to be led thru a wide variety of articles and posts, and if you don't find anything that solves your problem or guides you towards a solution, you'll always be welcome back here. Tell us what you've done, consider uploading a sample file as recommended, and somebody surely will read your post and help you.

Now regarding your question, can u plz check the following link and see if it helps?

http://excelcampus.com/tools/excels-color-palette-compatibility-solution

Kaushik

Thanks Kaushik. I've read the stickies. I've also now posted an introduction in 'the lounge' forum. I've spent hours searching chandoo.org and the internet in general for an answer to my question, without luck. I've tried a little bit of VB coding, also without success, but would prefer not to embark on a full course of study if there is an easier solution.

Thanks for the link - I checked that, but I don't think it is relevant. That post relates to compatibility with files created in Excel 2003 or earlier, whereas my question is confined to Excel 2007/2010 (as indicated in the topic and body of my post).

Uploading a sample file will not provide any further detail - my question relates to changing the colour palette which appears in the toolbar of every Excel 2007/2010 file.

To clarify, the focus of my question is how to change the default shading percentages in the Excel colour palette (Excel 2007 and 2010).

Maybe there isn't a solution since the colorindex system was replaced with styles in Excel 2007....

Hi ,

Is this useful ?

http://rmaxim.blogspot.in/2007/07/create-custom-excel-color-palette.html

http://www.bloggpro.com/add-new-colors-to-the-default-excel-palette/

Narayan

Hi AshbyMatt

On the Page Layout ribbon there is a "Themes" section (the very left of that ribbon in my copy of Excel 2010), from there select colours. A drop down menu appears. At the very bootom of that you should see "Create New Theme Colours...". You can define new colours here and save your theme.

Also see:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/change-the-default-theme-HA010204550.aspx

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Cheers

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. Getting closer. As I said in my initial post.

"Changing the top row in the colour palette is easy enough. (Create new theme colours in Page Layout.)"

So I've got that far. The next part is the problem I haven't managed to solve ...

"However, the shades in the subsequent five row rows in the colour palette seem to be fixed at Lighter 80%/60%/40% and Darker 25%/50%."

These shades are what I'm trying to customise.

Back