• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Copying Pie Charts From Excel To Powerpoint

sam77

Hi All,

This is Sam. I have kinda basic knowledge in Excel. Im trying to copy a set of pies at once as a single bitmap image from excel to ppt and somehow a part of the pies get greyed out when copying as a bitmap. This problem is occuring when trying to do the action both manually and via a macro. Could any one provide clarification/help/resolution on the same ? Thank you.

Regards,

Sam

Try pasting the Chart as a Picture (Windows Metafile) or JPEG by using the Paste Special method.

You will not be able to edit the chart post this.

~VijaySharma

I find that paste as enhanced metafile usually keeps the image charactertistics, and if in power point you need to resize, hold hown the shift key to maintain the aspect ratio ie keep the pies round

TPM Brian

One option is to put all of the charts into paint or a similar program and then save that as a bitmap, jpeg, etc. then insert the picture into your PowerPoint.

well there is one problem again.. im basically using a 3d pie ..when i use the metafile option the the shadow around the pies are showing up as black dots.. since this is a business deck we are trying automate the copy paste action into ppt. also one strange observation is that at a view of 100% all the pies get pasted correctly provided i scroll to the right side of the excel screen which are getting greyed out. Coz at a view of 100% not all pies are visible in the screen.. this may sound funny but thats what is happening...

im basically using a 3d pie

Yikes! Using pie charts 99% of the time messes up data perception, and making it 3D further complicates the problem. Check out this article for more info on why pie charts are bad and alternatives:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/extra-distortion-in-a-pie-chart/

Addressing the zoom issue, you have discovered a small bug with XL's zoom feature. XL does not do a good job of zooming in and out proportionally. Text size is usually the more apparent thing (sometimes you can sell all the text in a cell, sometimes not), but charts also suffer. Generally, when copying, you want to be at a zoom of 100% (which you could put in the macro)

Back