• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Converting a excel spreadsheet into other languages

markjenkins

Hi

I am pretty inexperienced in excel only really knowing the basics, I have a excel spreadsheet which is in english, but I need to convert all the wording of the spreadsheet into different languages ( french, german, spanish , dutch ) is there any software that can easily convert the whole spreadsheet into these different languages , I know its possible to convert using google translate doing each cell individually but this would take far to long. Any help would be greatly appreciated,many thanks, Mark.

Good day markjenkins and welcome to the Forum

You may find this of help

Translate a whole file

You can have a whole file translated by a computer and displayed in an Internet browser. When you choose this kind of translation, the content in your file is sent over the Internet to a service provider.

Note Machine translation is helpful for conveying the basic subject matter of the content and for confirming whether the content is relevant to you. For important or sensitive files, human translation is recommended, because machine translation might not preserve the full meaning and tone of the text.

1. In the file that you want translated, click Review, in the Language group, click Translate.

2. Click Choose Translation Language.

3. Under Choose document translation languages click the Translate from and Translate to languages that you want, and then click OK.

4. Click Review, in the Language group, click Translate.

5. Click Translate Document. The From and To languages that you selected are listed.

6. Click Send.

A browser instance opens with your file in both the original language and translated into the language that you selected.

Note If this is the first time you have used translation services, click OK to install the bilingual dictionaries and enable the translation service through the Research pane. You can also see which bilingual dictionaries and machine translation services you have enabled by clicking the Translation options link in the Research pane.

sirJB7 works in more than one language for Excel and may be able to offer a more elegant solution via software. His rates for advice are very reasonable...crates of Carlsberg :)

Hi markjenkins,

You may want to read the below discussion:

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/excel-multilanguage-formula-translator-and-function-reference

Kaushik

Hi, markjenkins!

I should assume that I'm the author of the topic and related files that b(ut)ob(ut)hc referred to and that kaushik03 posted. In that topic you'll find the origin of the project and you should be aware that it's only related to formula translation.

That's to say that it lets you convert formulas from one languaje to another, but not texts, constants, labels or other text values. I know that Excel does this formula conversion automatically, i.e., you have a workbook created in Italian with formulas in that language, an when you open it with a Swedish Excel version you get the formulas translated.

My workbook does that kind of things for every available language and from within any language version of Excel. I guess that what you're looking for is a translation of the whole workbook, including constants, worksheets headers and footers, chart labels and titles, and all UI (user interfase) data. If that's the case, I'm afraid that my workbook won't be of any use for your needs. Despite of this, feel free to ask any question you might want or need.

Regards!

I have researched a company called Babylon who say that the software they sell can convert excel files to different languages, just wondered if anyone had experience using this package.

Hi, markjenkins!

I know Babylon by its language translator application but not specifically by its Excel translator, as a matter of fact I didn't know that they had something for Excel.

If I were you, I'd try to download or ask for a trial version, and then I'd test it with several files: simple workbooks with many worksheets, workbooks with headers & footers for printing, workbooks with charts, workbooks with user forms, and everything else you might use.

Regards!

Hi, richardandrews!

As far as I could see that add-in for Excel is for using Google Translation text features, but neither for converting whole worksheets or workbooks to other languages nor to for translating the syntax of Excel formulas between different language versions.

Regards!

Back