• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

conditional formatting

ahhhmed

Hi all,

What formula to use for the following:

I want to do CF for a number of columns that contain different values.

The condition is if the cell contains 50% of the header value, then the cell is conditionally formatted red for example.

Regards!

Hi, ahhhmed!

Let's say it's column A, and in A1 it's your header value and from A2 in advance your data.

Select A2, got to CF, and type this formula in new rule:

=A2/A$1>=0.5

Apply to A2:Annn

Regards!

Hi SirJB7

The formula works very well for one column. My qestion is what if I had a number of columns each with a different heading. What formula may be used?

Regards!

Hi, ahhhmed!

Note that the formula =A2/A$1 only fixes the second parameter (row) of the division, not the column part (A) in neither both parameters, so you can simply copy it to every cell you need as long as you have in that column -in first row- a value to check against.

And if you want only one value for all the sheet, just replace A$1 by $A$1.

Regards!

Hey Guys, sorry for skipping the introduction stage, but I have a question, that no-one in my office is able to answer, please can some one save us!?

The problem we are having is as follows:

We have an excel database, with about 400 names on it. Each of those people hold a licence. Is there away to ask the ''expirary date'' box to automaticly turn red when they have less than say 6 months left?

We are using 2003.

I had used a basic answer i found, and while the collum was sorted in asscending order it seemed to work, the text in the box turned red. But then when I sorted names by alphabetical order, the expiray dates were 90% red now, even though some of them were for three years in the future. I only needed six months.

Please can some help me with this!

@ahhhmed

Hi!

Strange formula, ahhhmed, I've never neither used nor seen one like that... but I tried it and it works. Thanks for the new tip! However, it's the same as =A2/A$1, try it.

Regards!

@shane.uk

It's very polite to introduce yourself and get known to the community. Besides, next time please consider opening a new topic instead of writing on any that's not related, and not hijack another one's post. You can give a look to the green sticky posts at the forums main page.

And about what you asked, Conditional Format, New Rule, Formula, =OR(YEAR(TODAY()-A1)>0,MONTH(TODAY()-A1)>6), set format to background red, apply to A1:Xn, where X is the last column in the range and n its last row.

Regards!

@SirJB7

Thanks you so much for the help, that has worked like a beaut!

I'm sorry for the mix up, and will make sure i introduce myself promplty.

I will be learning alot about excel through my job and will surely need more of the expertise harnesed within this life saving website, and it is my hope tht with time i can begin helping other understand this daunting and intaitialy confusing programme, thanks again

Shane

Back