• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional formatting - 200 text values question

I am using this formula in my conditional formatting =MATCH(B28,$X$28:$X$28,0) and it works fine for one value.

X28 is where I have one value listed. I want to do the same for 200 of these values (I can list them in a row somewhere or column if need be) and highlight the cells in a different area where these values show up.

How do I make one rule (or just a couple) that highlights 200 different colors or formats.

This works using VBA but only up to 80 cells:

Sub ColorCompanyDuplicates()
'Updateby Extendoffice 20160704
Dim xRg As RangeDim xTxt As StringDim xCell As RangeDim xChar As StringDim xCellPre As RangeDim xCIndex As LongDim xCol As CollectionDim I As LongOn Error Resume NextIf ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Count > 1 ThenxTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.AddressLocalElsexTxt = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AddressLocalEnd IfSet xRg = Application.InputBox("please select the data range:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8)
If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
xCIndex = 2
Set xCol = New Collection
For Each xCell In xRg
On Error Resume Next
xCol.Add xCell, xCell.Text
If Err.Number = 457 Then
xCIndex = xCIndex + 1
Set xCellPre = xCol(xCell.Text)
If xCellPre.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone Then xCellPre.Interior.ColorIndex = xCIndex
xCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xCellPre.Interior.ColorIndex
ElseIf Err.Number = 9 Then
MsgBox "Too many duplicate companies!", vbCritical, "Kutools for Excel"
Exit Sub
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next
End Sub

Also a clue: it's not the number of cells, it's the number of duplicate companies that cause the formula to stop highlighting. So if I change the company to one of the companies already highlighted as a duplicate, it will highlight in cell 81 or further. So I think the formula needs to be adjusted to allow for more duplicate companies.

Having that many different CF will eat up system resource and will hinder performance. As vletm wrote, upload a sample file for better assistance.

Back