• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Clear data validation list with new selection (VBA)

gmelchor

Hey everyone,

I'm currently learning to do VBA (still in the very beginner stage) and I am trying to to write some code regarding three dependent data validation lists. Let's call them "Country", "State", and "City".

I want the "City" list to reset when I change the "State" list. Similarly, I want the "City" and "State" lists to reset when I change the "Country" list.

I found some VBA code that enables me to reset one of the lists when I change another, but I haven't been able to extend the code to do exactly what I want.

I appreciate your help and I hope to learn from it!

P.S. Here is the code I found. Say "E32" is "State" and "G32" is "City".

Option Explicit

Public Prior As String

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E32")) Is Nothing Then

If Target <> "" And Target <> Prior Then Range("G32").ClearContents

End If

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E32")) Is Nothing Then _

Prior = Target.Text

End Sub

Hi, gmelchor!

Does this help?

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/data-validation-list-automatically-shows-the-first-item-in-the-list

Regards!

SirJB7, thank you for the quick response. That is exactly what I want to do, however I want to extend it to a third dependent validation. The logic is right, I just don't know how to extend it.

Here is a sample workbook that shows what I'm talking about.

Thank you for your help!

I have recently whipped up code that does this. See sample file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tfgn3t2l0m5lm5/Dynamic%20Dependent%20dropdowns%2020130716.xlsm

Jeff,

Very impressive! I'll work to adapt your code to my workbook. I like how it resets the list to "Choose..." when it clears instead of a blank cell.

Thank you!

Glad you like it. The code was surprisingly hard to get right. Note that it relies on you having your validation lists and your dropdown lists organized in Excel tables.

Back