• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Check whether a date is 3 days away from today

Nirbhay Sharma

Hi Forum

I am trying to create a macro for checking whether a service request date is within the turnaround period of 3 days. the problem statement is:

If day is Monday/Tuesday; then the date difference between today and the request date should be less than or equal to 5 days.
For other days; the date difference between today and request date should be less than or equal to 3 days.

To do this i am trying to do the following:

1) check if the date difference lies between the dates in column D and today is as per the problem statement and accordingly put values true/false in column E
2) transfer all the FALSE values to sheet 2

I am using the formula DATEDIFF to get the date difference. I have also uploaded a sample file for you guys. Can you help me out with this.

Attachments

• SAMPLE FILE.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
It looks like your dates are text not dates

You are best to convert them to dates
Then use the Networkdays.Intl function eg:
=NETWORKDAYS.INTL(D2,TODAY(),1)

Hi Hui.

Thanks for your reply. I read about networkday.intl function and that should work for me.

But I am not able to convert the column D into an excel readable date format. I have tried the following:

1) extract the date part from cells in column D and try to use datevalue function
2) after extracting i tried to convert that dateformat using text function but its not working.

can you please suggest me a way out of this?

Attachments

• SAMPLE FILE2.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi Hui.

Thanks for your reply. I read about networkday.intl function and that should work for me.

But I am not able to convert the column D into an excel readable date format. I have tried the following:

1) extract the date part from cells in column D and try to use datevalue function
2) after extracting i tried to convert that dateformat using text function but its not working.

can you please suggest me a way out of this?

Hi,
Your dates are not real numbers, check this:
=DATE(20&MID(D2,FIND(" ",D2)-2,2),SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(D2,2),"/",""),SUBSTITUTE(MID(D2,FIND("/",D2)+1,2),"/",""))

This wll convert your text vales in real dates.
now apply what Sir Hui mentioned in above post.

Regards,

hi khalid.
thanks for your input and i am able to get the result i want by using the combination of the two formulas inside excel but i am facing a problem while writing a macro for the same. the error i am facing is due to the " (double quotes) used inside the Range.formula function.

plz have a look at the code in this file and tell me what is wrong in it.

thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• SAMPLE FILE2.xls
    40 KB · Views: 2
Hi Nirbhay

You can easily get these code recorded. The below code should do the trick for you.

Code:
Sub TimeDiff()

Dim cell As Range
Dim myRange As Range
Dim lastRow As Long

With Worksheets("Sheet1")
lastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Range("E2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=DATE(20&MID(RC[-1],FIND("" "",RC[-1])-2,2),SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(RC[-1],2),""/"",""""),SUBSTITUTE(MID(RC[-1],FIND(""/"",RC[-1])+1,2),""/"",""""))"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("E2:E" & lastRow)

Range("F2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=TEXT(RC[-1],""DD-MM-YYYY"")"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("F2:F" & lastRow)
    Range("G2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=DATEVALUE(RC[-1])"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("G2:G" & lastRow)
    Range("H2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=NETWORKDAYS.INTL(RC[-1],TODAY(),1)"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("H2:H" & lastRow)
    Range("I2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=DATE(20&MID(RC[-5],FIND("" "",RC[-5])-2,2),SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(RC[-5],2),""/"",""""),SUBSTITUTE(MID(RC[-5],FIND(""/"",RC[-5])+1,2),""/"",""""))"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("I2:I" & lastRow)

End With

End Sub

hi khalid.
thanks for your input and i am able to get the result i want by using the combination of the two formulas inside excel but i am facing a problem while writing a macro for the same. the error i am facing is due to the " (double quotes) used inside the Range.formula function.

plz have a look at the code in this file and tell me what is wrong in it.

thanks again for your help.
Hi Sharma,
Sorry, can't help you, i am zero at VBA
Can you check the code posted by JD?

Regards,

Is this..

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub TimeDiff_1()
    With ActiveSheet
        .Range("E2:E" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row).Formula = _
        "=NETWORKDAYS.INTL(DATE(20&MID(D2,FIND("" "",D2)-2,2),SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(D2,2),""/"","""")," & _
        "SUBSTITUTE(MID(D2,FIND(""/"",D2)+1,2),""/"","""")),today(),1)>10"
    End With

End Sub

Back