• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Chart Data Labels

Hello Forum,

I need to update 40 line charts every month. Each charts will have 3 lines (Actual, Budget & Forecast) plotted from Jan till Dec. Due to intercepting lines, Data Labels will overlap each other which will not be meaningful. Hence, I need to have Data Label for Start of the year (Jan), Current month (nth month) and end of the year (Dec).

Currently, I am doing the below:
  • Delete the previous month's data label for all the 3 lines for each of th chart
  • Add new data labels for all the 3 lines
  • Delete all the data points which are not required (nearly 26 points for each chart)
  • Format the data labels every time for the new data labels.
Instead, if there is an easy way to do, please do advice.

I have uploaded the file as a sample.

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    15.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi dramnath,

Welcome to chandoo.org forum.

Correct me if I am wrong.. Your budget & FCST series in chart will remain static and you will update current month data only in actual series.

So it mean data label for Jan for all series will remain static, data label for dec will also remain static and only current month data label will change every month. Is it so?

If so we can add three dummy series to chart will will update label every month.

Will this be OK?

Regards,

Hi Somendra,

Thanks for your quick reply.

You are almost correct. But the issue here is, when we are in Sep, I need Sep values for all the 3 lines like Actual, Budget & Forecast. Eventhough, the Budget & Forecast start and end values are the same, the current month values need to be changed every month even for these Budget & Forecast. So, I have to delete the Aug values and add the Sep values for all the 3 lines.

I hope I am clear. I am looking for something like a parameter kind of table which will take the months as input and give the data labels accordingly. I know its very tough. But in this forum, anything in excel is possible.

Regards, Ramnath

Thanks a ton.

This will save my time to a great extent. I have never used a dummy series like what you have done. Its a learning for me.

Though we cannot remove the dummy series both from the table and in the legend, your tip is very handy and to the purpose.

Please mark my query as "Solved".

See the file, dummy series move to sheet2 and in my last file I had highlighted the current month marker by increasing the size, if you remove the marker than legend is also clear.

Regards,

Attachments

• Sample (38).xlsx
    14.8 KB · Views: 16
Nothing just make marker None, line color None, no visual at all related to dummy series only data label.

Edit: one thing more series name should be nothing like null string.

Regards,

Back