• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Calculation speed slows down with SUMPRODUCT formulas

schalkj

I created a report sheet, using the following SUMPRODUCT formula: =SUMPRODUCT((Plant=$B8)*(InvoiceDate>=U$4+1)*(InvoiceDate<=V$4)*InvoiceAmount).

The report range consists of 81 columns by 250 rows, and the above formula is copied in each cell.

It takes Excel more than a minute (timed it) to recalculate each time. I have the same experience when I copy LOOKUP (V & HLookup) formulas to a large range (One model was still recalculating after I left it on for the night).

Question: What am I doing wrong for Excel to take so long to recalculate? Excel 2003, Windows XP Professional SP3

Schalkj

Sumproduct is one of several functions which are known as Volatile Functions.

These Volatile functions recalculate every time a spreadsheet change occurs as opposed to other functions that only recalculate when part of there precedence tree changes.

If your using Excel 2007/10 you can try replacing Sumproduct with Sumifs

For a more complete description of Volatile Functions check out:

http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm

Using Sum if as an array is an alternative for 2003 users. i.e =SUM(IF(Plant=$B8,if(InvoiceDate>=U$4+1,if(InvoiceDate<=V$4,InvoiceAmount)))) - remembering to press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER.

Might be quicker?

Thanks Hui, Chill.

Chill, I tried your sum(if ....) formula - no difference at all in the calculation speed.

Pivot table doesn't work: Does not group dates in months, says "cannot group data", and it leaves out entries.

Seems like I am stuck with having to wait.

Back