• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Application.EnableEvents Help?

Hi there,

Have been struggling with this code for a while now and hoping someone could shed some light on where I am going wrong!

Summary of sheet: user scans a barcode into column A - based on this code ("N000002342" e.g.), column L populates (via manual Vlookup function I have in place) with another Code (e.g. "T1.1001, T1.2001, T1.3001, N0001" etc.). This code denotes a shift pattern worked by the user - .1 = 08:00-16:00 shift, .2 = 10:00-18:00 shift, .3 = 12:00 - 20:00 shift and N = night shift. What I want in column N is to enter the shift pattern based on the code populated into column L. The codes I have in place work, as tested on a seperate work book. The issue arises with running the final bit of code (extrapolating the shift pattern into column N) alongside the existing code.

Below is the code I have on one sheet - my issue is with getting the final bit of code to work along side the other ones. At the moment as it stands, the final bit (where the shift pattern i.e. "08:00-16:00", is entered into column N based on the code entered into column L via manual V-lookup) works in terms of populating the shift pattern, however it then enters an indefinite loop. I think it has something to do with enable events - however when I disable them at the start of this particular bit of code, it then stops all my code prior to it from working also :(
Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
            Worksheet_ChangeA Target
            Worksheet_ChangeB Target
            Worksheet_SelectionChangeC Target
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_ChangeA(ByVal Target As Range)
            Dim A As Range, B As Range, Inte As Range, n As Range, H As Range
            Dim R As Long

If Target.Row > 1 And Target.Column = 5 And Target.Rows.Count = 1 And Target.Columns.Count = 1 Then
'              Search Down
               If Target.Offset(1, -2).Value <> "" Then
                  R = Target.Offset(0, -2).End(xlDown).Row
                  If Cells(R, 3).Value & Cells(R, 5).Value = Target.Offset(0, -2).Value & Target.Value Then
                     MsgBox ("Duplicate 'Fault Category' already inputted, relating to this set, in the row below." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Please ensure you mention all the respective instruments, if they have the same 'Fault Category', in the 'Instrument Requiring Rewash / Issue' box - (One row DOWN & two boxes to the left)." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Do NOT separate the instruments into individual rows if they have the same respective 'Fault Category', and relate to the same set.")

Application.EnableEvents = False
                     Target.Value = ""
                     Application.EnableEvents = True
                  End If

R = R - 1
               End If

'              Search Up R = 1
               If Target.Offset(-R, -2).Value & Target.Offset(-R, 0).Value = Target.Offset(0, -2).Value & Target.Value Then
                  MsgBox ("Duplicate 'Fault Category' already inputted, relating to this set, on the row above." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Please ensure you mention all the respective instruments, if they have the same 'Fault Category', in the 'Instrument Requiring Rewash / Issue' box - (One row UP & two boxes to the left)." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Do NOT separate the instruments into individual rows if they have the same respective 'Fault Category', and relate to the same set.")

Target.Value = ""
               End If

R = R + 1
            End If

Set A = Range("A:A")
            Set Inte = Intersect(A, Target)
            If Inte Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
            For Each n In Inte
                n.Offset(0, 9).Value = Date
                n.Offset(0, 10).Value = Time
            Next n
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_ChangeB(ByVal Target As Range)
            If Target.Column = 8 And Target <> "" Then
               If Cells(Target.Row, Target.Column - 1).Value = "" Then
                  Target.Value = ""
                  MsgBox "Washer must be entered before scanning Supervisor"
                  Exit Sub
               End If
            End If
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChangeC(ByVal Target As Range)  ' *ISSUE HERE*
            Dim rng As Range, cell As Range

Set rng = Sheets(1).Range("L4:L500")

For Each cell In rng
                If IsError(cell.Value) Then
                   Exit Sub
                Else
                   If InStr(1, cell, ".1", 1) Then
                      cell.Offset(0, 2) = "08:00 - 16:00"
                   Else
                      If InStr(1, cell, ".2", 1) Then
                         cell.Offset(0, 2) = "10:00 - 18:00"
                      Else
                         If InStr(1, cell, ".3", 1) Then
                            cell.Offset(0, 2) = "12:00 - 20:00"
                         Else
                            If InStr(1, cell, "N", 1) Then
                               cell.Offset(0, 2) = "Night Shift"

End If
                         End If
                      End If
                   End If
                End If
            Next
End Sub

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try setting EnableEvents to false just before extrapolating to Column N, then enabling it right after you finish updating column N.

Alternately, you can try setting it to false at start of the sub, but turn it on at the end of code and also before your "Exit Sub" line.

Hi, CarolineGMartin90!

Welcome to Chandoo forums!
Checked this yet?
http://chandoo.org/forum/forums/new-users-please-start-here.14/

About your question, consider uploading a sample file or a clean & readable VBA code. It'd be easier to understand for people who might be able to help you.
Include indication of the input data, the attempted solution (formulas, code) and the manually written expected output data as example. Thanks.

Regards!

Hi ,

The Worksheet_Change procedure is what is called an event procedure ; what this means is that this procedure is automatically executed by Excel (without the user having to do anything to manually execute the code) when ever its associated event occurs. This event is a change in any worksheet cell (in the worksheet where this code is placed) by the user , not by formulae.

Since this code runs automatically when a worksheet cell is changed , it will also run when this change happens within code , either within the Worksheet_Change procedure itself or in some other procedure.

Thus , it is most essential to ensure that no code changes a worksheet cell unless it has already disabled triggering of this event by use of the code statement :

Once the change of one or more worksheet cells is completed , the event can be re-enabled by this line of code :

This has been done systematically in the Worksheet_ChangeA procedure which is being called from within the Worksheet_Change procedure.

However , the other two procedures Worksheet_ChangeB and Worksheet_SelectionChangeC have not followed this discipline.

You need to ensure this , by using the above two code statements around every line of code / block of code , that changes a worksheet cell.

Narayan

Hi ,

The Worksheet_Change procedure is what is called an event procedure ; what this means is that this procedure is automatically executed by Excel (without the user having to do anything to manually execute the code) when ever its associated event occurs. This event is a change in any worksheet cell (in the worksheet where this code is placed) by the user , not by formulae.

Since this code runs automatically when a worksheet cell is changed , it will also run when this change happens within code , either within the Worksheet_Change procedure itself or in some other procedure.

Thus , it is most essential to ensure that no code changes a worksheet cell unless it has already disabled triggering of this event by use of the code statement :

Once the change of one or more worksheet cells is completed , the event can be re-enabled by this line of code :

This has been done systematically in the Worksheet_ChangeA procedure which is being called from within the Worksheet_Change procedure.

However , the other two procedures Worksheet_ChangeB and Worksheet_SelectionChangeC have not followed this discipline.

You need to ensure this , by using the above two code statements around every line of code / block of code , that changes a worksheet cell.

Narayan

Many thanks everyone for getting back to me so soon! Really appreciate it! I have tried the Application.EnableEvents however it stops all my code from running, and also even stops the Vlookup function I have in place on column L and M. I have attached a screenshot of the code to see if you can tell where I am going wrong.

Any help really is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Caroline

Attachments

• Sample_Code_EnableEvents_Help.doc
    128.5 KB · Views: 5
It will be good to test following as well. Please make sure you do this on a backup.

1. Remove these (i.e. application.enableevents) statements from all calling codes.

2. Implement them at the main event like below
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'\\ At the beginning of the execution of complete block
            Worksheet_ChangeA Target
            Worksheet_ChangeB Target
            Worksheet_SelectionChangeC Target
'\\ Reset at the end of code execution
End Sub

Back