• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Any way to speed up Opening a workbook

polarisking

It's taking almost 9sec to open a measly 8mb workbook.

I only need to interrogate the data in the WB's 2 tabs. I write nothing to the WB, I don't sort. Nothing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

polarisking
Have You tried to press and keep [ Shift ] -button down before You're clicking Your file open?
What do Your file do ( or should do ) while it will open?

As Excel loads any workbook stuff in memory so the bigger workbook the slower to open …​
Just remove any useless thing.​
As a reminder any database software is at least 50 times faster than Excel …​

As Excel loads any workbook stuff in memory so the bigger workbook the slower to open …​
Just remove any useless thing.​
As a reminder any database software is at least 50 times faster than Excel …​
Saw a comment referring to ADO. Haven't really delved into it, but it seems like it avoid the physical overhead of "opening" the file.

When you say "Just remove any useless thing," to what specifically referring?

It's taking almost 9sec to open a measly 8mb workbook.

I only need to interrogate the data in the WB's 2 tabs. I write nothing to the WB, I don't sort. Nothing.

Since this posted on the VBA forum, my issue relates to the file being opened within the macro.

Anything useless ! Formatting, conditional formatting, formulas, objects, pictures, columns / rows in used range but blank, whatever …​
For ADO - which is another subject - see the samples within this forum.​

polarisking
About Your You understand that this is a macro, right? The user is prompted to browse for the file.
You wrote that You have an Excel-file, which opens and takes almost 9sec. Is 9sec a long time? - it could be sometimes.
Your file could and should open without any macros - and - sometime much quicker.

Without any sample of Your Excel-file - others than You could only continue guessing.

Anything useless ! Formatting, conditional formatting, formulas, objects, pictures, columns / rows in used range but blank, whatever …​
For ADO - which is another subject - see the samples within this forum.​
Marc L., this is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to "connect" to an workbook without "opening" it, per se, in order to read it only - no actions against it.

Without opening it under Excel : yes like via ADO for example if the worksheet design is at least smart enough …​
But whatever the method used to read any file it must be somewhat opened, no magic.​

Without opening it under Excel : yes like via ADO for example if the worksheet design is at least smart enough …​
But whatever the method used to read any file it must be somewhat opened, no magic.​
That's the answer I need. Many thanks.

Back