• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Another Ranking problem

khelgadi

Dear All, Attached file contains the data table and desired output. You are requested to help me setting the formula.

Attachments

• Numbering.xlsx
    18 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Vijay Sharma... But this solution is not valid if I sort data.
There should be reference taken from Column A, Which I could not do.
Can you still help me out?

Dear Webmax, the initial 2 columns are part of bigger database which needs to sort/ filter etc. the numbering system is required to provide unique numbering to each book. if you sort on Column B / Column C value, the numbering would change. There should not be change in the Book Number.

I hope attached file clarifies the doubt. And thanks for taking interest....

Attachments

• Numbering.xlsx
    18.9 KB · Views: 6
hi i have sorted the category but it is working fine i am attaching the file.

Attachments

• Numbering.xlsx
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello,

If the ID is always in the same format, starting with M & four digits, try this in D3, then copy down.

=C3&COUNTIFS(A:A,"<"&A3,C:C,C3)+1

If the ID starting alpha is different & last four character are digits, try this

=C3&SUMPRODUCT((C$3:C$22=C3)*(RIGHT(A3,4)+0>RIGHT(A$3:A$22,4)+0))+1

hi i have sorted the category but it is working fine i am attaching the file.

Dear Webmax,
You copy the desired output in one column as values. Give formula to adjacent column. If you sort on Column B / C, you'll find the difference in These two columns.
Thanks for Helping.

Hello,

If the ID is always in the same format, starting with M & four digits, try this in D3, then copy down.

=C3&COUNTIFS(A:A,"<"&A3,C:C,C3)+1

If the ID starting alpha is different & last four character are digits, try this

=C3&SUMPRODUCT((C$3:C$22=C3)*(RIGHT(A3,4)+0>RIGHT(A$3:A$22,4)+0))+1

Dear Haseeb,
Thanks a lot, it Worked... I couldn't use Sumproduct function earlier, never thought that it can be used like this...
Thanks very much.:D

Hi ,

The formula can be reduced to :

=C3&SUMPRODUCT((C$3:C$22=C3)*(A3>A$3:A$22))+1

since your data in column A is numeric , and the M is appearing only through formatting.

Narayan

Back