• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Administrator Permission

guitarman

I wonder if some one can help me out here I have done an array table in Excel and clicked on Save but it has come back you do not have permission to save. Contact your administrator. I am the Administrator I own the PC whats all this about I have never had this before. Mind you it is Windows 7

Welcome back guitarman!

Strange...did the file not get closed properly last time it was open? Do you have the file open in multiple instances of XL?

Hi Luke

No I have just created the file and when I finished it ask me to save or don't save and obviously I clicked save but then this message comes up (File Golf Pairs You do not have permission to save in this location contact your admistrator.) Well I am somewhat perplexed as I am the Admistrator and I am not on a network. I am begining to think I should have stayed with Windows XP instead of the Windows 7 rubbish. On reflection I recall it didn't allow me to save some holiday photos last year unless I got permission what a load of rubbish. Your computer and you don't have full control of what goes on.

Sadly, sounds like an OS error rather than something with XL. Are there some folder permissions somewhere that you need to change? I'm thinking of something similar to "Shared Folders" maybe there's some setting to restrict certain folders from being added to?? I'm using XP myself, so I'm afraid I'm just guessing at this point.

Hi, guitarman!

Does your new workbook tried to be saved include external links to other networked or clouded files?

Regards!

Hi There SirJB7

nice to hear from you again regards to this problem no it is not saved to a network or clouded files it just keeps coming up with (you do not have permission to save at this location contact your administrator) which of course is me if I can't sort it out I think I will revert back to Windows XP this Windows 7 is a bit rubbish and apparently Windows 8 is even worse there is no Start button on it because it is obviously designed for a tablet with touch screen.

Mike

guitarman

Widows 8 will run on a desktop with traditional mouse point and click, not sure if you have a bad installation of 7 as the vast majority of user say it is the best and most stable of the windows family. widows 8 is built on top of windows 7, sounds like you may have a corrupt installation of 7, have you tried an OS repair

Hi there bobhc

Well from the information I have received Windows 8 is not very good and I think this is reflected in the price of the update £49:99. But anyway my Windows 7 has been running perfectly I have checked all the details on the security tag and it says I have total control but I have not?

Mike

guitarman

Long shot here..........but it may help, when you log on is there two buttons on the boot screen one for administrate and one for user? are you logging on as user and not admin?

bobhc

There are no buttons when I Boot up it goes straight onto the desktop. But I right click on the programme and select run as administrator but that does not make any difference

Mike

A couple of things....can you save other Excel doc OK

Is the folder you are trying to save to restricted?

Can you make another Excel workbook and save to you normal save folder

Make another folder in my Documents and then do a save as and point the way to your new folder and see if it saves.

bobhc

Well i made another folder on the desktop and saved it to there and lo and behold it works I cannot believe why it would save in another folder rather than the one i save all my xcel files to Windows 7 ???. Anyway thanks for all your help at least I have got it saved. If you want some useful information about Windows 8 I will pass it on to you

Mike

Guitarman

Pleased its saved there. You could try and copy/paste from your new folder to your normal Excel folder and then open and try and save to your normal folder

bobhc

I have done that and it has saved it in the normal folder.Thanks a million have a good day and a brilliant life

Mike

Glad it has worked out alright, must have been a corruption in the workbook, do you forgive Win 7 just a little bit :)

guitarman,

This sound like you simply upgraded from XP to Win7... not a fresh install.

And this is common for the Files and Folders permissons to be reset.

Locate your folder where you wanted to save the file and re-take the Ownership of that folder by Right Click... Properties and then Security Tan

Once done you should be able to save files in this folder without any issues.

HTH

~VijaySharma

Hi there vijaySharma

Many thanks for that info I have done what you said and sure enough it has righted itself can now save straight to that folder Once again many thanks

Mike

Back