• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Biker on Hill - Chart

Dear Excel experts,

I had downloaded "Biker on Hill" chart from our chandoo website,which i tried to use with my data's for different data interpretation.Unfortunately i cant able to link it.

Attached herewith the chart and with my data in another sheet for your kind help.

Chart-1 -> 10 Bikers climbing the hill .
Chart-2 -> 2 Bikers with different data.

Waiting for your kind reply.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• biker-on-hill_Chandoo21Mar18.xlsx
    79.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi ,

Is there any reason you want to use this chart for your data ?

What is it you want to chart ?

If it merely the data in the range B5:C14 , then a straightforward column chart will do the job.

Narayan

Yes.I want to show the details with 10 bikers (as divisions) their progress as against Budget and i want to show the progress by each Divisions.

I tried but in vain.

I hope you understand my requirement.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi ,

A simple column chart will suffice.

There is no continuous progress that is being depicted , unlike in the chart you mention , where the cumulative line depicts the expected progress over a period of time , and the bikers represent points on this line as on a particular date.

For your requirement , for any division , there is only one point to be plotted.

See the attached file.

Unless you can add more data to your worksheet , Chandoo's chart cannot be used for your purposes.

Narayan

Attachments

• TEST1.xlsx
    83.8 KB · Views: 6
Dear Narayan,

Thanks for the chart.But for chart1 data which i mentioned i want to show 10 bikers (10 divisions) their status against the budget.i.e where they stand,whether they reached the hill? etc

I agree for chart2 data we can show this chart.

I hope you understand my requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Hi ,

The hilltop in your case is only one point , unlike in Chandoo's chart where the hilltop is the last cell in a range E4:E33 , which is why the chart can show the entire line of points from the first cell to the last.

Narayan

Dear Narayan,

Cant we assign hilltop range as 0% to 100% so that it will show as % of achievement on Budget (by each bikers (Divisions).

Vertical value can be also 1 to 100.want to represent where each Divisions stand against their Budget.

Hope you understand.

Thanks in advance.

Hi ,

I am finding it difficult to communicate.

Chandoo's chart is showing a range of data over a period of time.

Your data is not like this. There are exactly two points of data , one the target and the other the actual.

The ideal chart to display these two in relation to each other will be a column chart.

If you want a chart such as Chandoo's chart , you need to have data in the same format , where there are several data points over a period of time.

So , one division , say A , will have a complete range of cells in one column having values of how the achievement moves from 0% to 100% over a period of time. These cells will then plot the line of the hill slope.

The achievement as on date will be one point which can then be represented by the biker.

Narayan

Dear Narayan,

In that case period of time can be Jan to Dec - for each month progress and vertical line axis can be 0% to 100%.

Kindly let me know still this will not suit for this chart i will use column chart (though i felt column chart is always regular way of representing the data).

Thanks for your extreme support.

Regards,

Hi ,

If you want a chart such as Chandoo's chart , you need to have data in the same format , where there are several data points over a period of time.

So , one division , say A , will have a complete range of cells in one column having values of how the achievement moves from 0% to 100% over a period of time. These cells will then plot the line of the hill slope.

The achievement as on date will be one point which can then be represented by the biker.

Narayan

Hi ,

You will then have 10 such charts for 10 divisions.

If there is any greater usefulness in depicting your data in this manner , go ahead , otherwise keep it simple.

A column chart tells your manager where the actual stands in relation to the budget or forecast. Unless there is an added advantage is using time as an axis , don't do it.

Only you or your manager can decide this.

Narayan

Dear Narayan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i understand it will be 10 charts for 10 divisions.Can i let me know for doing one division?

Regards,

If you don't mind me saying, the biker chart is actually my chart, that got pimped by :awesome:. Flattered though some-one is wanting to use it.

In your specific case Nandakumar, I would always go with the suggestion of Naranyan.
That way you plot 10 divisions on only 1 chart, and the message will get across by your management per direct.

The biker chart idea, was a way to stimulate an operational team to reach a target volume of work at the end of day, based on real time data. As in go-go team, you need to overcome this pile (mountain) of work, and you are doing great (or not). The first biker being the team and the second biker the estimated/forecasted work to do by a certain hour. the top being the end of day target to reach. In your case, there is no second biker, thus by-passing the objective a bit. The key element behind the idea was showing the motion. I'm not convinced that is what you want to show.

Still I'll humor you. Say the target is 80% and you put a flag on the hill as it would be a finish. You can plot 10 dummy series to show the actual values of 10 teams. Your chart will look something like this:
upload_2018-3-22_16-35-32.png
That is crowded wouldn't you say? And you'd have some indirect labeling going on. Without a gps-legend, you get lost in this race-chart.
Making 10x the same chart will also become boring... And as per your suggestion to have a time series JAN-DEC, how do you imagine showing the intermediate results, if the target is always 80%? It is not 160% in the second month, is it? And bikers going backwards????

Obviously I like the biker chart idea, but it has a limited use to show a progress towards a target that lays in the future. Like a burn down chart in agile development, but then up-side-down. Though a down-hill-biker-chart also sounds fun.

Alternative to the column chart, you can use a line chart. In the uploaded example with dummy data, the target is evolving over the months to reach a target of 80% in November. Useful for you? That highly depends on the situation and what data is at hand to show any progress towards a target.
upload_2018-3-22_17-4-30.png

Attachments

• biker-on-hill_Chandoo21Mar18.xlsx
    90.7 KB · Views: 9
Dear GraH-Guido,

Thanks for your reply.I understood the idea behind the chart and thanks for elaborating the same.

Regarding the Target 80%,it is different in my case.There are cases - Actuals,Forecast & Budget for the year.

Budget - It is fixed by mgmt for the year
Forecast - Based on the current trend and market situations,divisions achievable budget they will provide.It will be 80% and even 50% on Budget
Actuals - It is actuals what they earned/completed.

In this scenario,Budget is always 100% where Target what i mentioned is Forecast and what i mentioned is YTD (year to date) it cannot be 160% obviously it will be less than 100%.

btw,this bike chart is the new way of representing the data.Congrats the way you worked on it and presented to us.I thought whether i can exhibit this chart for my presentation.But as you and Narayan suggested i will go with column chart.

Thanks for your kind support and patience in understanding my requirement.

Regards,

If you don't mind me saying, the biker chart is actually my chart, that got pimped by :awesome:. Flattered though some-one is wanting to use it.

In your specific case Nandakumar, I would always go with the suggestion of Naranyan.
That way you plot 10 divisions on only 1 chart, and the message will get across by your management per direct.

The biker chart idea, was a way to stimulate an operational team to reach a target volume of work at the end of day, based on real time data. As in go-go team, you need to overcome this pile (mountain) of work, and you are doing great (or not). The first biker being the team and the second biker the estimated/forecasted work to do by a certain hour. the top being the end of day target to reach. In your case, there is no second biker, thus by-passing the objective a bit. The key element behind the idea was showing the motion. I'm not convinced that is what you want to show.

Still I'll humor you. Say the target is 80% and you put a flag on the hill as it would be a finish. You can plot 10 dummy series to show the actual values of 10 teams. Your chart will look something like this:
View attachment 50994
That is crowded wouldn't you say? And you'd have some indirect labeling going on. Without a gps-legend, you get lost in this race-chart.
Making 10x the same chart will also become boring... And as per your suggestion to have a time series JAN-DEC, how do you imagine showing the intermediate results, if the target is always 80%? It is not 160% in the second month, is it? And bikers going backwards????

Obviously I like the biker chart idea, but it has a limited use to show a progress towards a target that lays in the future. Like a burn down chart in agile development, but then up-side-down. Though a down-hill-biker-chart also sounds fun.

Alternative to the column chart, you can use a line chart. In the uploaded example with dummy data, the target is evolving over the months to reach a target of 80% in November. Useful for you? That highly depends on the situation and what data is at hand to show any progress towards a target.
View attachment 50995

Back