• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Sub column for each category

Shailender

Hello All, I Need a small help in the excel sheet on which I'm working on . I have some different categories under column A with different rows in it . I wanted to create a sub column for each category differentiating with a space in it .

I've attached the excel sheet for the reference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• Question.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
Das, thank you for your reply and yes exactly I am looking like this. Just a small change I have attached the excel sheet for your reference and highlighted the text in green color.

Once again thank you for your help. Awaiting for your reply as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Question.xlsx
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
Das, thank you for your reply and yes exactly I am looking like this. Just a small change I have attached the excel sheet for your reference and highlighted the text in green color.

Once again thank you for your help. Awaiting for your reply as soon as possible.
What to do with that green colored text columns??

Do you want automatic separation, means you only enter text in column A and it will separate to B and C by itself??

S. Das ... as You wrote in #8 :
Do you want automatic separation,
means you only enter text in column A and it will separate to B and C by itself??

Shailender write something as those previous samples in column A - okay?
After press <Enter> - needed cells values will copy to their column as written in column A without indentlevel - okay?

S. Das
1) That my sample works with VBA and as I wrote in #14 - - did You read it?
2) '.xlsb' is one possible extension with VBA.
3) 'by formula' ... if there would be formulas then ... someone would need to update formulas ... not so automatic or how?

Vletm, thank you for your response. I have quick question, on what basis, it is getting separated automatically. Could you please let us know how we can do this in xlsx?

Shailender
As written #16 -
with VBA,
it's automatic (if You continue using A-column as in Your sample) - test it
and
with xlsx ... ooo ... so far not possible! (#10 Reply .. or macro),
but You don't need to fill Your sheet with formulas!

Das, thank you for the quick response. Could you please explain about those formulas in detail that you have used. It would be helpful for me.

Shailender, I have changed two things in your workbook for two methods

1) You have used indent to get the desired space in the starting of each line in column A, but I used <SPACE> for indentation. Press <SPACE> 5 times to send the text in column B and 10 times to send the text in column C.

2) The Flag Concept: You have to put 1 in column D to send a text to column B and 0 to send text in Column C. After putting 1 or 0 you can hide the column D

Shailender
... if You need to ReFresh all rows in one time ... activate Cell [A1]

Vletm, thank you for the quick response. It is working good. I have 40 sheets or i can workbooks like this. Every time i can't paste those data into this particular excel sheet. Could you please let me know how did you do this automation process? so that i can apply these in those 40 workbooks. Thank you.

Do You have
40 sheets or
40 workbooks or
40 workbooks which every has 40 sheets?
> I can make something that it would be possible to use ...
Vletm, to make it clear I have 10 workbooks in that I have 10 sheets which has these kind of data in each workbook. Hope this is clear. thank you.

Shailender - Okay
Note: this won't do checks, it works with columns A..C! have BackUps!
Step-by-step instructions:
1) open the newest version of 'Question.xlsb'
2) open one of Your '10 workbooks'
3) From Uppper Menu -> Tools -> Macro -> Macros... ->
4) Write to Macro name: Question.xlsb!Sheet1.Do_It
5) After CORRECT above text then there will be [Run]-btn enabled
6) Press [Run]
7) Wait until message
8) Repeat steps from 2 to 7 as many times as needed
... those have to do as that order as written above!

Attachments

• Question.xlsb
    18.6 KB · Views: 4
Back